1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM Laptop ?s

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Weezie12, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I bought an IBM Thinkpad 600 from e-bay. It is supposed to have a CD Rom and a floppy drive (internal). But I can't seem to locate the floppy drive. Probably a dumb ?, but can someone tell me where it is located? Also is there a place that I can get a manual for the laptop. Thanks. :confused:

2. ajdupont

ajdupont

If it's a 600E then the floppy drive is external.

3. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

How can I find out if it is a 600E? Also what do I do when I start up the laptop, and I get a picture of a floppy disk with the floppy drive above it with arrows pointing from the disk to the drive?

4. gws226

gws226

Regardless of which 600 series it is, there is only 1 internal bay that a Floppy can be inserted into... You have to swap out the CD/DVD rom inorder to install the floppy drive.

If a floppy drive did no come in the box I suggest you contact with the ebay seller ASAP.

BTW... I own a Thinkpad 600. Once of the best laptops ever made. Outdated now, but it will take a licking and keep on ticking better than any other laptop I have ever seen :)

5. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot. So there is nothing I can do to get around that picture of the floppy drive?

6. gws226

gws226

Sounds to me like you either don't have a hard-drive installed, or there is no operating system installed. In both cases the Thinkpad defaults to asking you for a floppy disk (to start the installation process)

If it didn't come with an Operating System *Im assuming no if you purchased it on Ebay. Then stick your Operating System installation CD in the CD rom drive, and follow the prompts when you reboot the PC to install the OS.

BTW... Im putting my Thinkpad600 on Ebay tonight.... with WinXP and MSOfficeXP if you want to return this one, and buy a real one ;)

7. ajdupont

ajdupont

I always used my floppy externally with an adapter that plugs into the right side of the laptop. Didn't realize that the floppy drive can be removed from the adapter and inserted into the internal bay :rolleyes:

Anyway, gws226 is right. Sounds like no operating system.

Another thought. Go into the bios and change the boot sequence to hard drive first. That should tell you if you have an O/S.

8. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

I put in the OS cd then hold down F1 and I get a little picture of a CD rom looks like/ When I press enter all I get is a couple of small Xs, and it doesn't go any farther. Can't get in bios or anything.

9. Weezie12

Weezie12 Thread Starter

Now I get a small picture of a lock thing. Is the system locked? What do I do now? Thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice