1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM netvista motherboard, peripherals, power up troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soma_hero, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soma_hero

soma_hero Thread Starter

I was given an IBM netvista 6825 11U and have been trying to get it to work right. It's a P4 1.6Ghz. When I got it, nothing showed up on screen and the keyboard didn't light up. Took everything out of the case and plugged it together and finally got it to start up through the BIOS.

Then installed WinXP Pro and had all going well. Then I wanted to replace the memory (which was 2 X 128Mb) and video card so I bought 2X 512mb PC133 SDRAM and an Nvidia MX420 on ebay. Popped them in and it went back to the same problem of the peripherals not working. Thought it might be the motherboard since some caps looked funky, so i bought another motherboard off ebay. This mobo was the same model but a 2.0Ghz processor. So I thought it may be the power supply, but with no other ATX supply I couldn't test this. Took apart another computer and used the power supply, but the same issues with the netvista peripherals not working.

After much mix and match, I left only one of the original 128Mb RAM modules in and it fired up! So, i put in the WinXP install cd and reformatted and installed Windows. Once it rebooted I got stuck in a cycle of seeing the IBM startup graphic, a blank screen, and then it restarts. Thought it might be a BIOS issue, so I flashed the bios and cleared the CMOS. Now i'm back to the same problem as originally, black screen at power up with no peripherals working.

The CDRW and hard drive seem to make no difference if connected/disconnected. I've had this issue with two power supplies so I think that can be ruled out. Same problem on two different motherboards... This has to be an IBM bios/memory issue right? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help,
    Michael

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

When your talkin about the peripherals what exactly are you addressing that to? Jazz

3. soma_hero

soma_hero Thread Starter

Monitor and Keyboard

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

Your sure your keyboard is functioning right. That will stop the process of any system. Jazz

5. soma_hero

soma_hero Thread Starter

yeah I've tried other keyboards and no-keyboard and it's the same startup problem

when i had this thing fired up, the keyboard was working too

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!