1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM Netvista upgrade problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shark722, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shark722

Shark722 Thread Starter

I recently purchased an IBM Netvista 8305-G7U from a local auction, current specs are P4 2.4GHZ 512 DDR PC2100. I have purchased and tried 2GB DDR PC2700, and 1 GB DDR PC2100. Both are listed as supported on the IBM website but neither will boot. I just get a series of beeps when I turn the machine on. Both types of ram were purchased after using a system scanner on crucial.com and memorystore.com. IBM states that the max supported per dimm is 1GB, I have yet to exceed the 2GB tried. I tried a registry fix where you can adjust the max supported within windows, and that didnt work either. I am down to trying a 4th different ram or getting rid of the system.

I have looked around and really havent found a good answer so I figured I would try here aswell, any help would be nice. Thank You.

2. Compiler

Compiler

3. Shark722

Shark722 Thread Starter

The ram was replacing the 512 that was already in this system. Both brands have been Kingston. The max i ever reached was 2GB nothing more. I am using XP Pro, and will mainly be using this for Photoshop.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Is there a BIOS update fo that machine??
    If so, try it.

5. Compiler

Compiler

Okay... remove the 512mb. Stick in the 2GB. Thats all you'll be able to do.

It is hardware limited by its chipset to support UP TO 2GB of RAM. It won't support 2.5, 3.0, 3.5 or 4.0GB of RAM. Its a old and very slow computer ($100 max in value) so why are you expecting so much? It'll run Photoshop fine with 2GB of RAM under XP.

6. Shark722

Shark722 Thread Starter

Compiler -I tried your suggestion prior to you suggesting it. I am very aware of the limitations and lack of value in this system. I dont think I am expecting too much of it, just to boot with the new ram and run photoshop...

As far as the bios update I just downloaded the new bios and will try flashing it later tonight.

7. Compiler

Compiler

Okay, then what is the problem?

You said'
    So that means you've installed 2GB of RAM and the computer works. If you're trying to get more than 2GB to work, then yes, you are expecting too much.

Flashing the BIOS won't change the supported memory amount. If it had 4 SLOTS, it'd support up to 4GB. The machine was built in the days when 256mb ~ 512mb was normal. 2GB will run photoshop more than fine.

I use Windows7 with 2GB of RAM and I use Photoshop in 1920x1200.

8. Shark722

Shark722 Thread Starter

I previously stated:
    I have not surpassed the max supported 2GB of ram within the two speeds. The two speeds were installed seperately. If you would read my posts, it would help me more than trying to re-explain myself. The computer will boot fine with the 512, but not with anything more than that. It does not boot the 1GB or 2GB.

9. Compiler

Compiler

When the first posts says "I have yet to exceed the 2GB tried.", will give anyone the idea that you're trying to get above that.

Many computers, especially older systems - can be finicky with memory. Many "PC2100" is just relabeled "PC2700" which does cause problems for some folks. Some PCs will be happier with certain brands.

I avoid Kingston memory, not because they are BAD - but I have had some compatibility problems. But I do use them from time to time without problems. Like I tried to install 4GB in a ThinkPad that didn't work, but did in another ThinkPad that was only a few months difference in age, go figure. When I checked with www.crucial.com, it show different types of DIMMs between 3 different ThinkPads of the same series, but different models with different motherboards... odd.

I'd try Crucial or Corsair for the Net-vista. Here is what Crucial recommended: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=NetVista Type 8305 All Models Important that this doesn't mean that a Corsair in a store is the same as what they are recommending from their site in this link.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice