1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM scanner ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SquidSister, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquidSister

SquidSister Thread Starter

NOT thrilled with my new IBM Idea Scan scanner. All reviews I read are great, but either I am STUPID or the instructions just STINK.

It keeps asking me to change my port setting from Standard to something else, and it is initialed by EPP? Enhnaced, I think? I have no clue how to do that, and the instructions do not explain. I can scan, seem to take forever, and cannot edit the image at all. Help???

Barb

2. RonK

RonK

That is a setting in your motherboard bios.
    Depending on what make your motherboard is you have to press a key (Most are the Delete key) while it just starts to bootup to get into the bios settings.
    If you have the motherboard manual it may show how to change the port setting. I beleive it will be under Integrated Peripherals.
    I usually set it to ECP/EPP.

3. slipe

slipe

When you first boot your computer the opening screen will say “To enter setup…” with a key to press. On my computer it is the delete key, but it varies with the system. Hold down this key while it boots and you will end up in your BIOS/CMOS setup. They vary significantly, but just grub around until you see a setting for your LPT port – EPP should be a choice. You move around using the arrow, tab, backspace and enter keys – the mouse doesn’t work in most BIOS setups. After you change it select the choice to save changes and exit.

You might be using too high a DPI setting if it is that slow. If you scan a photo taken with a fixed lens Nikon on a tripod you can get up to 300 DPI. Handheld point and shoot photos will not do that much but I scan at 300 anyway because I have plenty of RAM to handle the large files. You are spinning your wheels to go higher: http://www.scantips.com/basics08.html

You need an image editor to really edit the image. Your scanner probably came with something like Photoshop Deluxe, NTI PhotoSuite or Picture-It for that purpose. Take a look around www.scantips.com to get an idea how to work the scanner driver.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice