1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM T20 does not recognize DVD drive at all

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by home1250, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. home1250

home1250 Thread Starter

I have an old IBM T20 laptop that we basically used to watch DVDs on. It had Windows 98 on it. I loaned it to my son-in-law, and in an effort to "help" me, he loaded Windows XP on it. He said that it worked beautifully. He did, however allow the XP to expire without validation, and the computer locked up. He said that he formatted the hard drive in order to "reload" the Windows XP. After that, it apparently does not see the DVD drive. In the BIOS it does not show it as enabled. I assumed that it was a DVD problem. I ordered a replacement DVD drive, but it does not recognize it either. Unfortunately my floppy and DVD drive are an either/or setup. I tried a USB setup on a DVD and CD drive and used the Microsoft setup diskettes to boot into enough XP to see the DVD, and reload a good copy of XP. but it apparently does not see IT either.
    I have done and tried about everything I can think of to get an OS running on it. I don't especially need XP, so ANY operating system will be OK with me. As I say about all we use it for is to watch DVDs with an occasional internet session and email.
    If any of you old salts have any ideas, PLEASE let me know.
    Thanks,
    home1250

2. DerekC

DerekC

Welcome to TSG.

I'd reseat the DVD drive first, then go into the Bios, see if there is an option to Enable it or set it to Auto Detect.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice