1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM ThinkCentre s50

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by perfectlyfrank, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. perfectlyfrank

perfectlyfrank Thread Starter

I am considering getting an IBM ThinkCentre s50, but I want to install a Matrox G 400 video card and a better sound card. Can this be done?

2. mozzacajun

mozzacajun

it has 2 pci slots, so i do believe it is possible with the right cards. I am not certain if some models may have come with 1 pci and 1 pci-e slot, which would be even better.

3. perfectlyfrank

Thanks for your reply. The reason I asked specifically about the Matrox G 400 card is because it has two
    VGA out-puts. i am running CAD software that needs twin screens. I already have the card in my really old machine, so as a senior citizen on a budget, i would like to avoid the expense of getting a new twin output graphics card.

Thanks again

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Do the card and the computer meet the system requirements for the CAD software? Generally, that's pretty video-intensive software.

5. perfectlyfrank

The computer has a 3 gigahertz processor and my G400 Matrox is specifically designed for CAD applications. The IBM m50 Thinkcentre does have one AGP slot, but the case form factor is full-size desktop. The s50 Thinkcentre is a small form factor case with only PCI slots requiring a small form factor dual head PCI graphics card with 3D CAD capability. The s50 also has a 3 gig CPU and costs the same.
    I am looking to build a small form factor CAD station that along with two small flat panels I can lug in a suitcase. I have a laptop that i now use with the CAD system, but the screen real estate is just too inadequate. I do topographic mapping with the CAD software, and my clients like to have me do the work at their office. The laptop just doesn't cut it.
    Am I chasing moonbeams here?
    Thanks for your interest

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/706567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice