1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM thinkpad 570, boot up, screen freeze

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by keyhotayjane, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. keyhotayjane

keyhotayjane Thread Starter

I changed depleted cmos battery on my thinkpad 570. After changing batt, and restarting, 1st screen that comes up is "Push F1 for Bios setup". But when I push F1 to try to enter bios set-up, screen goes to "Entering Bios Setup", but freezes right there. I tried 'esc', I tried rebooting, and hitting F8 instead, I tried a number of things, NONE of which worked. Thinkpad was working great before, and I made a boot floppy, but unfortunately I've got an external usb floppy drive, and that doesn't work in this instance, (I think because it is the OS that 'sees' FDD, and if you can't even get past bios, then the OS isn't gonna help). I have win xp home edition. I also tried rebooting holding down the "U" key, because i read that you can sometimes force pc to boot from usb device that way. No go on that either. Anybody have any knowledge or suggestions on this? Anybody? I know it has a memory the size of a postage stamp, but damn, I sure do like that little thinkpad.
    Thanks for reading this.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Did you possibly muck something up during the cmos battery replacement procedure?

Double check your work.

3. keyhotayjane

keyhotayjane Thread Starter

Well, it was first time I changed cmos battery, but I'm not sure how I COULD have mucked it up, its a pretty simple procedure. I powered down pc, removed the main battery, removed deaD CMOS battery, popped in new one, checked voltage, (3.something, dc) put main batt back in, and pwrd it up.
    Unless there is some other procedure that I don't know about that should have been done(???). Did I miss something?
    KJ

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Nothing personal, It's just been my experience if I work on something and it no longer works like it did, there is a high probability I did something wrong in the process!

I also assumed you would have to disassemble the Laptop a bit to replace it, but sounds like yours is fairly easy, almost Aggie proof.

Is it possible to get the polarity of the cmos battery backward? Most with connectors is impossible, just a thought.

The only other thing I can suggest and is very risky is to attempt a bios flash.

If there are any thinkpad forums, I would give one of them a try.

Probably some guru's here that can help
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/

If you figure it out, please post your solution, thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/862404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice