1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ibm thinkpad 600 series

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luckybib, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luckybib

luckybib Thread Starter

IBM THINPAD 600SERIES, TYPE: 2645 PENTIUM 2, WINDOWS 98 2ND EDITION

sometimes, 98 opens fine, 1st time

more often, you get: when switch laptop on, you just get no-where, with irriatating messages:

'error' then it lists these numbers: 00173

at the bottom offers 'ok' or 'cancel'

neither of which get you to 98 anyway
    pressing cancel lists those numbers again, with NO options to exit or cancel, etc, & no mouse (mouse is on 1st screen mentioned)

doesn't respond to ctrl, alt delete at this stage have to switch off manually

if you slect the 'ok' (instead of cancel) at the 'error' prompt (the 1st screen which comes up after switch on) it gives you a date check screen, & time etc
    & only 'ok' or 'cancel' at bottom

if you select 'ok' it re-boots then offers yet another screen (still no 98) thsi one says: 'off' with an arrow pointing towards word 'on' to which I assumed it is asking me to switch off then on again? no mouse here either

if you switch off, then on again, THIS DOES ENTER 98 OK

how do I stop this silly error sequence prior to 98 screen? by the way, no probs running windows I don't think it is the o/s

when you 1st switch on, top left screen says: 064960ok
    with 192 directly below

words: ibm top rt & thinkpad bottom left

but even if you shut windows down correctly it brings the error messages above, sometimes with just 192 but other times with all 3numbers listed

& sometimes the beneath the error messgae you are offered: test or re-start

test gets me now-where, either, apprs to do all sorts internal checks then nothing gets me to 98

re-start just brings another message: lists only: '192' then red equals sign, crossed-out 'ok' , white arrow pointing to ibm manual (presume means look in book which I haven't got) no mouse at this stage, It does respond to ctrl alt del, brings error message 192 (again)

Finally: if you ever reach the 98 screen it only takes up, say, a1/4of whole laptop tft; I know to go into settings of display & move slider but it doesn't allow you to move slider. Colour is set to: 16, the only other choice being 2colours (b/w)

hope you can spare time to help

regards

TIM

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

3. Weezie12

Weezie12

Does anyone know where I can get a manual for a Thinkpad 600? I looked all over the IBM site, but can't find one? Thanks.

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

5. Arcadion

Arcadion

It's a very old laptop and is probably on its last legs. Probably the motherboard is starting to fail.

6. zaphad1

zaphad1

what youve got is an error message indicating a dead cmos battery,
    a really common problem with older laptops.
    anything like 161 163 192 means its dead
    161 and 163 means time date not set
    Any error message like this on any laptop means your cmos is dead,
    usually.
    go to the manuals for your specific model or make
    and have look they are freely downloadlable @ ibm.com
    a typical thing would be , on check system board
    dev 001
    err 192
    fru 3610 or fru 3810 (thinkpad 600)
    Its easy and cheap to fix though.
    The battery type you want is a cr2025 aka dl2025 ecr2025 and a few others all ending in 2025 its like a watch battery(different thinkpads might have a different battery)
    Open up the memory cover on the bottom of your thinkpad and youll see a white connector with a black and a red wire to the top righ,
    It connects to your cmos battery which is tucked under the bottom right plastic, its easy to pull out and isnt connected but yopu have to wiggle it round a bit, the original one has a yellow shrinkwrap thing on it,
    unplug it and then you can either prise off the connectors{theyre soldered)
    and tape a cr2025 battery on with insulating tape ,just make you sure you remember if red is positive or negative, or replace the whole thing
    a place in usa does them at $3.14 each with all the connectors.
    heres the url
    http://www.sabahoceanic.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=213
    PS hope this helps anyone it seems to be a common problem.
    PPS if youre running it off a charger that isnt the correct amperage and have either no battery or a totally dead battery or even a good battery youll get these error messages too
    the correct charge for an ibm thinkpad 600 is printed on the bottom
    16 v volts 2.6amps
    So long as the volts are right its pretty tolerantbit it has to be less than
    4 amps ideally.
    Mine is 4.15 and gets hot but works
    Chargers on ebay are 4.15 amps or 3.36 amps
    get the 3.36. amp version
    Regards mark
    whew!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/258527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice