Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IBM Thinkpad 765D, yikes

1K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  gusnvv 
#1 ·
I know it's completely outdated, but :eek: I just "inherited" an IBM Thinkpad 765D and it "came" with a disconnected external disk drive. I've pushed every button and tried everything I can see but cannot figure out how to connect the blasted thing. I only want to use the Thinkpad for off-site word processing.
Please, can you help?

#3 ·
It's a black box labeled IBM and it has a cable with a wide mouth
"insertion grid plug" about 1" wide at the end (is this a male connection??) The plastic surround of the grid plug has two tabs to squeeze on either side which open and close small clips on either side... Sorry, I'm an idiot when it comes to some of this stuff. But there are no corresponding "plug in places" on the Thinkpad.
Thank you for your quick response.

#8 ·
Actually, it looks a lot like this one I see on Ebay. Description

Up for auction we have a used IBM Laptop/Notebook Computer Floppy Drive Unit w/ Caddy. The drive is an IBM 1.44MB floppy drive, FRU P/N 05K8874, which can be used both internally and externally. The slimline case with connector cable allows for external use with protection of the drive.
For use with the IBM Thinkpad 600, 600E and 600X computers.

This drive was pulled from a working environment. Both the case and the connection cable are in good physical condition.

Guaranteed as described and against DOA.

Features

Low Buy It Now Price
Guaranteed

Important

#11 ·
No there's no connection port on the left... except for phone line and other "accessories" at the left rear. There is a flat panel at the front left, but I can't figure out if it opens or not--doesn't seem like it does... And, excuse my stupidity, but don't I need the drive to be able to protect/save my documents???

#12 ·
I found a manual for a Thinkpad 770 and it showed the connector at the left front. Whether it had a cover I don't know. Of course a 765 may be different. If you mean by save/protect your documents backing them, then an external floppy would be a way to do it. Just curious what operating system is on the laptop?

#14 ·
Well, I think that it's Windows 95... but since I can't power it up until I get the AC adapter that I ordered [it was missing completely]...(hopefully it will come this week) I'm not positive. And yes, I want to be able to back-up/save my documents so I can transfer them to my desktop pc if necessary.

#15 ·
Thank you Norton 850!!! In scanning the Thinkpad info you guided me to, I found a diagram that prompted me to pull down an inconspicuous panel... (I didn't even know it was there.) and Voila!!! there's the connection! Thank you so very much. I would not have been persistent enough to find this on my own. Your feedback did the trick!!
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.