1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM Thinkpad-Is this hard drive failure?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jperryneal, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jperryneal

jperryneal Thread Starter

Have had an IBM Thinkpad for 2.5 years, and today I started it up by holding the start button in, and a strange whirring sound came from the laptop. It then booted up, and I was checking some things out online, when the whirring sound started again, and my little light up icon that showed hard drive activity started lightin up. Scared, I turned the laptop off.
    Now, it is no big deal if it is a hard drive failure, replacing one in a laptop can't be that hard, but is the start button hooked directly into the hd? I' m not realy familiar with it, and need a little advice.
    I really don't know what else it could be. I was thinking that if I could get another hour out of it, I would transfer all my data before it comletely died.
    Thanks in advance.
    Perry

2. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon jperryneal, your description kind of is in line with a hard drive going noisy just before it goes to the great computer god.
    The switch should have no bearing on the noise.

There are probably only four mechanical devices in the machine.
    1. Floppy Drive.
    2. CD Rom.
    3. Hard drive.
    4. Cooling Fan for processor.

By process of elimination and observing when the problem happens you should be able to guess what is making the noise, also bearing in mind that hard drives often do make high pitched or growling noises.

I would be inclined to get your important data off the thing SASPO.

Do you have restore disk/s for the system?

Commisserations, qldit.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yep it is time to backup the backups and look for a new drive.

4. downinfront

downinfront

image that monster asap!

5. jperryneal

jperryneal Thread Starter

The noise is not happening constantly-I finally had the courage to turn it on and see what
    it was going to do.
    I went out, first thing, and bought a stand alone hard drive from Sam's called Simpletech. I was not able to image the hard drive until I installed teh accompanying software on the laptop.
    Went ahead and imaged it.

Perry

6. qldit

qldit

Good Evening jperryneal, we know who to call when there is a problem like this now!!
    Well done!!
    Cheers, qldit.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/465782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice