1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM Thinkpad locked HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cavp, Aug 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cavp

cavp Thread Starter

Has anybody here ever had a IBM hard disk for portables locked? Thinkpads have a feature that allows you to put a password to the HD, but if you forget it, accordingly to IBM, it's "impossible to unlock" and need to buy another HD. Damn! I need to unlock it (there MUST be a way), and only two companies in the world do this, and the total cost would be even more than buying another disk. I don't mind in messing up with the electronics. HELP!!!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Maybe, just maybe, not sure, I've never tried to see if it would work, go inside and remove the onboard battery pack...leave it out for a few minutes, put it back and try it again.

3. cavp

cavp Thread Starter

NO!!! NEVER DO THAT!!! Doing so would cause the mainboard to automatically set a RANDOM administrator password, and of course, accordingly to IBM, it's "impossible to unlock" and you need to buy another mainboard ($900 and up). The password is stored in the disk (nobody knows if it's in the controller or in the platters). I need someone that has already unlocked a disk like this f..... IBM disk. Thanks anyway

4. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

I searched IBM's support site, and I can't find any reference to a locked hard drive. How do you know the drive is locked?

5. cavp

cavp Thread Starter

when you install this drive in a IBM laptop, it asks for the password, that what i mean by locked...

6. ETS

ETS

If you're lucky, you may be able to take your laptop to a reputable IBM dealer and have the drive replaced (without buying a new one). Same for the motherboard. They may charge you a fee for this and you must have proof of purchase. Good Luck.

7. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You don't necessarily need to purchase a hard drive from an IBM authorized dealer. Many places sell hard drives that work in a variety of laptops. I can't imagine how a locked hard drive would have any effect on the motherboard. The point is to protect the data on the drive from unauthorized access. I doubt the point is to render all the hardware useless.

8. ETS

ETS

At least some IBM Thinkpads allow you to set both a "hard drive" password and a "power on" password which includes a "supervisor password". The hard drive password prevents someone from removing the drive and accessing it on another computer as well as on the existing one. If you forget the supervisor password (which overides the hard drive pw) then YES you must replace the motherboard. The user guide specifically warns you NOT TO FORGET THESE PASSWORDS if you use them.

9. Rockn

Rockn

Is this a BIOS password you are talking about?

10. ETS

ETS

Rockn, This is not a Bios password. It is a harddrive password. It cannot be changed or removed unless you know the current password. To do that, you need to run EASY SETUP which requires a supervisor password. But even that won't work unless you know the current hard drive password or it doesn't have one yet.
    You cannot reset it by removing the battery or flashing the BIOS or any other COMMON means. If that were the case then you could put the drive in another machine and access it.

However, according to the user reference guide, some IBM resellers will replace the drive without requiring you to pay the full price of a new one.

11. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

If the password is supposed to protect the data on the hard drive, then I don't understand why you'd have to replace the motherboard on the computer. You should be able to just replace the hard drive.

ETS, could you point out some documentation on this feature that requires the replacement of the motherboard? I've just never heard of anything like that, so I'd like to read up on it.

12. ETS

ETS

Hi Max19,

You only have to replace the motherboard if you forget the supervisor password. That password gets you into the bios with full administrator priveleges and allows you to run the EAZY-SETUP utility, which is where passwords are set for power on and hard drive protection etc. Apparently this is a high security feature that eliminates any easy way of accessing data unauthorized.
    You can find the documentation at www.IBM.com, but it isn't easy to find. Basically, you look under SUPPORT & DOWNLOADS which is listed near top of the screen. In the next menu, place NOTEBOOKS in the search box under Tech Support and click go. In the next menu select one of the Thinkpad models and click go.
    I used THINKPAD 600E.
    In the next menu there is a list of documents 1 to 516. Select #8 which is for TP 600E USER'S REFERENCE GUIDE.
    The trick here is to be sure to get the users REFERENCE guide and not the user's guide.
    Next is the download screen for online documentation. Download the pdf file. See page 112 of the document.

13. angel

angel

What model ThinkPad do you have?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/50978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice