1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM thinkpad problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jack Jr., Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack Jr.

Jack Jr. Thread Starter

I have an thinkpad 600 P2 ,running Win Me.when i start up i get an ''error 08611'' it gives me the option to run test or restart. if i do eatheir i get the same thing. the only way i can get into my system is to hold down F1 while booting up. when i do make it to my desk top my mouse does not work.I have tryed reloading windows, disconecting the external mouse,using system restore.nothing works! I have found that if i disconect everything and let it stay that way over night it will work the next day,for a little bit, say 1.5-2 hours then everything freezes up again.thanks for any help.

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

On the IBM thinkpad 700 (and possibly yours) that error code means a bad pointing stick on the keyboard. Try moving it in all directions. Does the pointing stick work when you are not using an external mouse?

4. Jack Jr.

Jack Jr. Thread Starter

the mouse on my keybord does not work. that`s why i started using an external mouse,now it wont work right . if i should try an external keybord do you think it would work properly?

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

Well you can try it, but i'm thinking no. I don't work with IBM's very much so maybe some one here will be able to give you better advice. I think that you will have to replace the laptop keyboard to get it and the external mouse working again.
    You might double check in the systems bios to see if there is any way to disable the pointing stick there. BOL

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice