IBM Thinkpad R40 keyboard/mouse issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

laramon

Ever since I had to format and reinstall WinXP my laptop, it has developed several annoying issues. First that developed was the built in touchpad and trackpoint stopped working intermittantly. Even with updating the driver, they seldom work. I found that opening the properties page in device manager makes it work for about 10 seconds, then it cuts out. Even then, it only allows the touchpad to function for the time, leaving the trackpoint useless. That doesn't matter to me, since I can use the USB mouse when I'm in the house. It just would be nice to rely on the touchpad when I need it!

Then a couple months later, the keyboard cuts out. Not completely, mind you... It works during POST, it works when it asks you to choose OS (I dual booted for 2k and XP), and most of the time it works for me to input my password into the user select screen of WinXP. The cutting out of the KB is completely random, though I've noticed that it's more frequent to cut out when loading IE or Firefox too soon after booting up, though it is not limited to the loading of those programs. Some times, it will get past POST and OS selection, but not work to enter the password.

The IBM troubleshooting page has been useless. All they want to say is that the KB is shot, but that's only because the only options is "The keyboard does not work at all!", which is not the case. I am typing this on the laptop in question as we speak, so obviously it works.

My only thought is that the version of WinXP that i have installed is wrong for this laptop. My laptop did not come with a resore CD or a Windows XP CD; just the OS preinstalled, even though I bought it new. I had to install a copy of WinXP that I had bought for my desktop and having to hack the activation on it (I think that if a computer came with XP, it should be allowed ANY Windows XP of the same type [home/pro] that it came with, regardless. And it did come with XP Pro).

What do you think?

laramon

I figured nobody would have any input on this one... it doesn't make much sense to me either...

If I could, I'd just buy a USB KB, but alas I can't afford a USB hub + KB (only have 1 USB port)

*sighs*

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online