1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM Thinkpad T40 Freeze Then Black Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gswright, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gswright

gswright Thread Starter

After a period of time with the machine not rebooting (just fan running, no screen, looks like no disk i/o) it finally booted and it seemed like it was working. Then the cursor froze again, then black screen, and now I can not reboot again. I noticed that wuauclt.exe (supposedly windows update) was running as well as some other suspicions apps before it froze. What would you recommend I use to eliminate any malicious software, provided I can get this machine booted up again?

2. gswright

gswright Thread Starter

Also happens in safe mode. And now I can barely get to safe mode with it before it freezes and the screen goes off. But 80% of time when I power up, the only thing I get is the fan running. Not sure I can do a system restore (let alone trying to run virus software) when I can't even get the machine up in any mode. What can I salvage from this? HELP!

3. plumbank

plumbank

I have been having the exact same problem and was hoping that you had gotten an answer :(
    My IBM T40 began freezing- then progressed to starting with fan only and a black screen. After maybe 8 attempts, the computer then started up and ran for awhile, no problem. The next time I went to power it up, black screen again. After more trails, the computer came on but then froze fairly quickly. I thought it might be a power supply problem- but a new battery and using a docking station have not helped.

4. gswright

gswright Thread Starter

No help here. I gave up. Not willing to invest in new mother board (if that indeed is the problem - I tried everything else). So much for the reliability of IBM. Not going back there again.

5. amr.darweesh

amr.darweesh

I have the same problem exactly in my Thinkpad T42.:rolleyes:
    I think this is a miss ventilation problem. The processor fan almost will be the reason.:cool:
    When I tried to work in a heavily cooled room, the laptop never do this strange behavior.:confused:

So I am trying to replace the fan right now & find a cooling system for the laptop.
    Could any body help me on this issue ( a website for Thinkpad cheap spares & any cooling system for laptops)?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/606563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice