1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM Thinkpad T41

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fisherblue1, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fisherblue1

fisherblue1 Thread Starter

I have a IBM ThinkPad T-41 that I had to replace the hard drive in. I ordered the recovery disc and have been trying to install them. Per the instruction I am to hold the F1 key and turn on the power. When the screen comes on I released the F1 key and it takes me to the next screen that has in the upper left hand corner small picture of a monitor and a padlock that is locked. How do I fix this?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Try just entering the BIOS first and checking the values.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I had a T41 and also had recovery disks for it. if i remember correctly each disk is numbered and i think there is at least 5+. to do the recovery put the first disk in and boot it from the cd like you would the operating system and just follow the instructions given.the correct disks should either have xp pro or home on it because thats the operating system that computer came with originally.The F1 should take you into the bios. but if it already had xp on it theres no need to change the configuration to anything. it should already be set for ATA,SATA,IDE, or compatability.to get to the boot order hit F12.

4. DaveBurnett

I didn't say change anything. Just entering the BIOS on a Thinkpad will kick it into recognising a disk change. Also it will give him a chance to see that the disk was installed correctly. Thinkpads can be very fussy about what hardware is installed. I had to hack mine when I changed the built in network card.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Ive had lots of thinkpads and some of them were very fussy about what harddrive size could be put in. some had a limit or wouldnt recognize anything more than 137gb for some strange reason.ive never had to hack them but did have to do some finagling on one that absolutely would not accept windows xp pro with sp3 already in it. another ones craziness involved having to download a vb script and something else to permanently fix an error message at startup.

6. DaveBurnett

I've not seen a size problem with disks on mine that I'm using as a footrest as I type this. Although I have updated the BIOS to a later version. I have a 160gb drive in there at the moment.

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You have been lucky then.updating the bios in some of the models did no good as far as using a bigger hard drive. they still had to be partitioned which for me was annoying.that problem was in some of the t series thinkpads.

8. DaveBurnett

They (IBM) certainly tied them down. The reason I updated the BIOS was actually to remove the restriction on network card. It took a long time to find one that let me use my Broadcom card.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice