1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM Thinkpad T43 Thumbprint scanner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blazingeingi, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blazingeingi

blazingeingi Thread Starter

Hello,
    I was given an used IBM thinkpad t43 with the thumb scanner, and was wondering how I could reset or remove it so I can actually use the laptop.
    Thank you,
    Ilya

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    For a reset like this I think you are going to have contact an Authorized Service Center. From Experience, Resetting the Bios by Removing the cmos battery renders the computer unbootable and must be returned for repair at a cost in your case. THere is a setting in BIOS to disable the Predesktop Finger Print Scanner Security. But if there is a Supervisor Password assigned you would have to know what it is to get into the BIOS to make the changes.

3. blazingeingi

I was able to enter bios so the fingerprint tool is now disabled.
    Now I am having a problem getting into the hard drive, as it is password protected as well, but the previous owner does not remember it.
    Would I have to reformat the hard drive from scratch or is there any possible way to simply disable it without knowing it??
    Thanks much,
    Ilya

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It is possible if it is still intact that you could restore the computer to factory settings, there was a hidden directory with all the factory software on it. It has been quite a while so I dont remember what the key is for restoring the computer is. You can go to the IBM website and search for the procedure if the hard drive is still intact as sent from the factory. As far as the Password Protected hard drive I can not tell you if this will correct the problem. I have never had to deal with that problem.

5. blazingeingi

alright, thank you for your help.
    I will look into the problem.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please see the TSG Rules, we no longer provide any help with lost passwords or getting around password protection. Obviously, we can't determine the real intent here, so our policy is to abstain from any assistance in these matters.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Alidabiri, I've deleted your reply as it is in contradiction to the rules here at TSG. Please refer to the link in Johnwill's post for our rules.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!