1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IBM Thinkpad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jasvon, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I have an older IBM Thinkpad, but when it's runnning for 1/2 hour or so, it just shuts itself down. If I try to start it up again, I hear the disk turning on and then it just shuts down again without booting. Any ideas why this happening? It will boot again when the machine is cold, but once it's on 1/2 hour again, it will shut itself down.

Thanks, Jasvon

2. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

The fan on the heatsink has quit working. Your cpu is overheating and locking up the system. You need to get it replaced. You will need to find a technician who can work on laptops.

Edit: or you need to clean it. I really think the fan has quit working though.

3. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

Some window pops up when I first boot the computer that says something about "sleep." I'm trying to boot the computer again to see exactly what it says, but I guess it's not cold enough yet. Do you think this could have something to do with the sleep mode? The computer is an older one, but has not had very much use.

Thanks, Jasvon

4. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

No its the cpu overheating. You need to fix the fan on the heatsink.

5. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

OK, will do. Thanks a lot!

~ Jasvon

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Depending on what "older" means, it might be cheaper to purchase a new laptop than to pay for someone to fix an old one.

7. Jasvon

Jasvon Thread Starter

I was just looking at the updates on the IBM site, and I found a "fix" for my computer. Do you think this upgrade to the PC Doctor Diagnostics may solve the problem? I'm in no way computer literate, so this may seem like a very dumb conjecture, but when I saw "fix" and FAN, I thought maybe it had to do with the problem?

This is what this update fixes:

<2.0.717>
    - (New) Support for ThinkPad 600X.
    - (Fix) FAN test on ThinkPad 240 returns FAIL.

<2.0.842>
    - (Fix) Large size hard disk is not detected.
    - (Fix) FAN test fail on ThinkPad 390E.
    - (Fix) Invalid CPU name is shown on ThinkPad 570E/390E.

Is it possible that the computer is getting the wrong message about the CPS overheating and is shutting it down?

Thanks, Jasvon

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice