ICANN vs New.Net

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

quantass

I've just discovered New.net which offers "unofficial" top level domains such as .XXX and .SHOP, and, according to the organization, has amassed over 75 million registrants @ $14/yr a pop. My questions:

1. If New.net's business is legal why haven't there been more companies like them popping up and offerring the same service, even the same unofficial top level domains like .XXX and .SHOP be it here or overseas? At the moment i only see ICANN and New.Net. 75 Million registrants at $14/yr is a pretty hefty business, to me even better than yet-another-social-network-site.

2. I've heard of other non-ICANN organizations such as AlterNic, PacificRoot, and NameSpace but some of them have closed shop. Why have they withered away whereas New.net has thrived? What is New.net doing differently?

3. New.net has partnered with Earthlink, Netzero, and other ISP middle-weights to more seamlessly integrate their unofficial TLDs into the internet. Why havent they partnered with Microsoft, Opera, and Apple to get their diminutive, boot-sector-sized browser plugin packaged with the world's most popular browsers? This seems like a better approach than just Ma & Pa ISP alliances.

4. Now please correct me if I'm wrong but from the way New.net has their technology structured it doesnt sound all that difficult to set up. I figure $100/mon for server/bandwidth and 2 weeks tops to make the startup (coding, business details, etc). Though i have to be ready for future scalability but with such activity i'm sure I would have a robust userbase of paying registrants. Is this accurate, and if so it again begs the question why such few competitors ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!