1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Icon for Folder

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by FZWG, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Appreciate some assistance.

Have a folder on the desktop with Christmas info in it, and would like to have a Christmas icon showing, instead of the yellow folder.

Is there a way of assigning an icon to this folder?

Downloaded several icons from the net, but cant figure out how to make one stick on this folder.

2. plejon

plejon

Here's a workaround:
    1) Don't create the folder on your desktop, but put it somewhere else on your hard drive.
    2) Create a shortcut on your desktop that refers to the folder. You can assign a different icon to a shortcut

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If you want to change the folder icon:
    Make an icon and get the path to it. For example C:\My Documents\My Pictures\Santa.ico

create a text file and copy the following lines into it:
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    ICONFILE=Drive:\Path\Icon_name.extension

Save this text file by the name, desktop.ini in the folder whose icon you want to change.In this case, your Christmas Folder. To prevent this file from getting deleted change it's attributes to Hidden and Read Only
    Then go to a Dos box and change the attributes of the Folder to system.
    For instance, if I had a folder on the desktop named big
    C:\Windows> attrib +S desktop\big (press enter)

4. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies.

Moved the folder out of the desktop using Explorer, then created its shortcut on the desktop. The Change Icon option then appeared and got the job done.

Will attempt to make an icon and get the path for it following procedures as posted. Using that on something else.

Will this procedure create an icon using a ".gif" file?

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

No. But you can change a gif to an icon using a free utility called Irfanview.
    www.irfanview.com

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

The thing about Irfanview is the icons end up having a white background. You can use this program. Icon Edit32 to remove that.

http://home.att.net/~willowbrookemill/pricelesswarealphabetized.html#Graphics

On the same page as Icon Edit 32 is another utility I love.
    It is called Icon snatcher. It will extract an icon from any kind of file and unlike Irfanview, which can also do this, there will be no background unless it's supposed to be there.

7. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Mosaic1,

Thank you for the links.

Need to plan exactly what to do, but these utilities will come in handy. Have seen all sorts of Christmas clip art that are .gif, and was wondering if it could be used for icon material.

Have a good week.

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

FZWG,
    You got me in the mood to decorate for Christmas. I went inot my dusty My Docs and got out this one. Have fun and Happy Holidays.

If you want to change every Folder on the Hard Drive to another Icon (all the same icon)
    Try this. Open the Registry and navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\windows\current version\explorer\shell icons
    Click on the right hand pane and select new>string Value
    Name it 3
    Modify it to the path of the icon you want to use to replace all those Yellow Folders.
    Let's say you had a folder on the desktop named icons and it had an icon named new.ico
    You would modify the string value to read
    C:\windows\desktop\icons\new.ico
    Close regedit. Step two is redrawing the icons. Go to display properties and select effects. Place a check in the "use large icons" box. Let the icons redraw. Set the box back again. That's it.

Christmas Trees maybe? Mine are all roses. But I think I will be changing them for the Season.

Every Folder will be changed except the ones you changed using the previous method. Now you have a choice.

9. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Mosaic1,

Hey!! That might be really cool. A few Christmas trees here and there to replace those dull yellow folders.

Thank you for the info.

:) :)

10. hewee

hewee

You know when you go to change an icon if you pick from the file types All files tou can use .bmp files too.

11. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

hewee,

Thanks for the info.

Have a good weekend.

:)

12. hewee

hewee

Your welcome.

But I think it uses the upper left of the image so you may want to make a copy of the .bmp and resize it and use that .bmp in you shortcut.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice