"~" Icon on my desktop?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Edmond4

I am running windows 98, I have on occasion an icon show up on the desktop. The graphic is the windows default graphic icon for unknown file types. The name however is just one short character, namely: ~

Is there anyone who knows what this is and why after it's deleted it later returns? Any trojan horse or something going along with it?

The symbol ~ usually means a temporary file and can be deleted. I'm running XP, but I believe it applys to Windows 98 as well.

I found this here
kbell, That "~" (tilde) file is most probably appearing as the result of installing the "April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994)". Microsoft is aware of the problem and is supposedly working on a fix. Many people are experiencing this problem and from what I've read about this problem that icon will also reappear when you reply to an e-mail and you have your Outlook Express set up to enter the persons e-mail address to your address book whenever you reply to an e-mail. You can either just put up with it or follow the uninstall directions for the patch at the link below.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/330994/default.asp
Note: If you did install this patch the above is applicable and yes, you should be able to delete the "~" file with no problems but these "~" will probably keep reappearing due to the problem with the patch.
For more info Check out "Welshjim's" reply in the thread at the link below.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16820

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online