1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Icon problems under IE 7 and XP Pro SP2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by karbo, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karbo

karbo Banned Thread Starter

Am I the only one with icon association problems under IE 7 with XP Pro SP2? How come it's so difficult to get favicons some times when you know they are available for some websites. You have to close IE and open it again to see them. Some times, you have to readd the favorite so it then shows the favicon. Why?

Another problem I have, and I'm sure not the only one because I've reinstalled XP for the second time to verify this, is that some web links in the start menu have no IE 7 icons when they should. With IE 6, the icons would show properly. Could you please verify this on your computer? Make sure you have IE 7 with XP Pro SP2 first.

Thanks

2. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

3. karbo

Thank you for the links but still, I can't find a solution for the problem. I'm sure it's a problem that still hasn't been fixed with IE 7. I hope Microsoft knows about it and will correct the problem in futures updates.

4. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

karbo, You could try starting your computer in SAFE mode than restart it in Normal mode. This will rebuild the iconcache.db file and may correct the problem.

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode
    http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

You could also download Tweak UI at the link below. After you install it you'll find it in Start>Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI. Open it and under Repair then choose Rebuild Icons.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Tufenuf

5. karbo

I've tried Tweak UI and it didn't work.

For the favorites, I know it's an old problem that has always been an issue with all IE versions.

As for the start menu IE links, I've never experienced the problem with previous versions. It's not a problem on my machine only since it's the second fresh installation of Windows XP Pro SP2 I make. IE 7 seems to not be able to associate icons with the start menu program IE links (the ones provided by certain programs for help per example).

I really would like someone to check his start menu programs and tell me if ALL links to websites have a standard IE 7 icon (or an icon provided by the website) and not the little white rectangle icon of no association.

Thanks

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I have many favicons and mostly Avant icons (default browser). I use Faviconizer and FavOrg.

7. karbo

We're all used to favicons not working like they should. I know a lot of ways now to help them work a bit better.

Concerning start menu IE links under different programs, it seems like some software are not perfectly configured for IE 7. Or is it the other way around... Some links will show as Web documents (with the proper url code and an IE icon) and others as Shortcuts to a program in "Program files" providing the url (with no IE icon). Now why aren't they all Web documents (like favorites)?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not very many sites actually have any favicons. There are some few, but not most.

9. karbo

I think you don't quite understand the question. I'm not talking about favicons anymore. I'm talking about web links in the start menu that won't even show the IE default icon. Instead, we only see a white rectangle (the one you get when there's no file association) but in this case, the links function normally. They just don't have the IE default icon. Why isn't this icon created automatically like it should?

10. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

11. kickback999

kickback999

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice