1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

icon will not work on desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bettyblooper, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bettyblooper

bettyblooper Thread Starter

My friend is having troubles...windows xp user....can not click on icons on desk top...when you click on them, internet explorer error and states will be shutting down...my computer will not open my pictures....even log on to the net will not open...so i tried to go to start, settings, control panel and samething happens...tried to go back to a restore point...but fairly new computer and no restore points were not found...HELP thanks....

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Are you sure it's not an "EXPLORER" error instead of Internet Explorer? Please post the exact error as much as possible. If the computer is new, then can you contact their TECH support? They owe you that much for a year. If restore is what you want, then do you have or did you get a Recovery CD with your computer? There is a nasty virus that disables some .exe files. Do you have an up-to-date antivirus program? The more info you can provide, the better we can help.

3. bettyblooper

Yes...i think it probably was explorer error, it isn't my computer that is messed up, it is a friend of mine...can not get on it at all, can not click anything on desk top or by going to start menu..can not even get on line ...everything you click on says the error message...

4. bettyblooper

...and yes...has up to date antivirus program...

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

She may have a Browser Helper Object preventing her from opening any windows. and she may have other problems too. More Spyware .

Eventually she should run certain programs. They must be downloaded an installed. If youhave a burner, you may have to use it on your own computer and then transfer to hers.

But, if I have a look at this registry key, I may spot something.

Here's what to do. Go to start>Run
    Type regedit. Press enter.

Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

Put a floppy in the drive

Highlight Browser Helper Objects. Go to the toolbar to file>export

Name the file BHO
    Save as Text Files

Save it to the floppy. BHO.txt

Then take it to your computer and attach it to a post here.

6. bettyblooper

ok i will try that mosaic1.

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If you want to quickly test the theory, you can temporarily rename the Browser Helper Objects key in the registry. If things start working then, you'll know .

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

Right click on Browser Helper Objects and choose Rename.

Rename it Old Browser Helper Objects.

Be sure to name it back after you run this test. And allow me to see the key, please.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!