1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IconCache.DB Missing - Rebuild Did not Work

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bascotie, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

UPDATE: I spoke a little too soon. I guess something I did yesterday brought IconCache.db back BUT my icons are still messed up. I tried renaming it to .old and restarting to no avail.

Hi guys,

All my microsoft office 2007 and many other icons changed to the default white page icon for all my shortcuts/start menu/desktop icons. I tried rebuilding IconCache about 3 times to no avail. I've searched around for a while and found something about IconCache.db but it is not present in C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local. I have hidden files as shown and I even tried showing system files. I still cannot find it.

Any ideas? Thanks

Note: I would like to avoid doing a restore/reformat. Thanks

2. Window

Window

Right click on desktop
    >select screen resolution
    >click on advanced settings
    >select adapter tab
    >click on list all modes
    >(before you do this take note of the mode that you are currently using)select a 16 bit mode
    >Click on OK
    >Click on OK again and then apply. Now go back to list all modes and select the 32 bit mode you were using. This should rebuild the .db file.

3. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Thanks Window,

i tried it once before but I tried again just to see. Still no luck. For a moment when clicking ok to switch back to 32 bit mode I see a flash of icons where the generic icons are (though they are not the correct ones) and then it goes back to how it was.

4. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

Just a quick question, do the shortcuts themselves still work? I mean if you click on the IE shortcut, though it doesn't have the blue e icon, does it open Internet explorer? That might differentiate between a flaw in the icons and a flaw in the shortcuts.
    Also does this only affect shortcuts, or are other files (programs, documents, etc) also affected?

5. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

hi Ent,

The files still open with the approrpiate programs. It does not only affect shortcuts, I have some documents on the desktop that are located there and they have the same issue

6. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

What about restoring the default registry association for the icon handler.

I don't know what OS you're using, presuming 7.
    This might be what you're looking for.

If it were XP this one might help?

7. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Thanks. I tried it, restarted, but still the same =-/

I'm starting to fear that this is why people resorted to a restore/reformat. Maybe after this final school quarter is over I'll just back up and wipe everything like I should do anyway. Unless anyone has any other ideas? haha

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/965667