1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Icons/files/folders Renamed Themselves...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by buckethead35, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buckethead35

buckethead35 Thread Starter

Laptop (running Vista) ran out of battery the other day and when I booted back up, all of my desktop icons were renamed to the date they were created. All of my internal files and folders are the same way. I've tried manually renaming them, and when the text box comes up, the original name is there, but pressing enter doesn't fix it. I've already tried aa system restore with no luck.
    Need help ASAP.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Which Vista?
    Which SP?

Can you create a folder with a unique name?

Can you create a notepad file with a unique name?

Have you run HDD diags? Check the laptop manufacturer's website.

Open "computer"
    RIGHT click the C: drive
    Left click "properties"
    Left click "tools"
    Left click "check now" button in section labeled "error checking"
    Check both boxes.
    Schedule a scan.
    Reboot when ready.

After the reboot, check the event viewer
    start > search > eventvwr.exe
    The results are in the Windows log called system or applications, with a source of Winlogon.
    On the right, left click the button with 2 sheets of paper. That will copy the contents to your clipboard.
    Return to this thread and paste the results.

RF123

3. buckethead35

Well, after waiting 2 1/2 hours for the error check to finish, i found out that the search function of Vista doesn't work anymore either. :(
    It always says search failed to initialize. Is there any way to manually get the results?
    And the computer is relatively new, so it should have the newest Vista and SP 3.

4. sjupr

sjupr Banned

Just a quick question: You say in your last post that you have Vista SP3, but there is no Vista SP3. SP1 was released a while ago, SP2 is scheduled to be released sometime in the 2nd quarter of 2009. Now XP has a SP3 but I'm assuming that you are running Vista SP1; you can try doing a system restore or repair i forget how it's presented using the Vista DVD. The Restore option will not overwrite current system files that have not been altered and most other files are not touched at all. If you do not have a DVD but only a (generally hidden you can only see them when u boot in Safe Mode) reinstall partition on the HD you can back up any data files (Office, etc.) and do a complete reinstall which put your comp back where it was the first time you booted it. Now some HD reinstall options will let you do a "recover to last known good configuration" choice but they are few (some HPs, some IBMs) Let us know what happens!

5. buckethead35

Yeah i meant SP 1.
    Don't know why i hit 3
    I have the Vista DVD, so I can try a system restore from that, but would it be any different from a system restore administered from Windows?

6. sjupr

sjupr Banned

Yes it would. It adds all the "out of the box" file to Windows. It SHOULD work but remember this is a Windows OS that relies heavily on the registry so if something is screwy in the Reg and doesn't get touched it may not help. In my experiences it usually does. Let us know what happens.

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

open control panel
    set to classic view
    open admin tools
    There, you will find event viewer.
    Alternatively, you can RIGHT click the start button > properties > "start menu" tab
    > customize > select "run" > OK
    Then start > run
    type: eventvwr.exe

Depends on the disk. Is it labeled system recovery? If so, it is an image from your OEM. CAUTION: Use of a system recovery disk may reformat your HDD and result in the LOSS of ALL of YOUR DATA. Generally not a good thing.

Please avoid using registry repair tools.

If you have a Microsoft [ or OEM ] Windows Operating System DVD, you can probably run the repair and access Vista's system restore.

1. Backup all of your important data, NOW!
    2. Run HDD diags.
    3. Run RAM diags - available from a Microsoft Vista DVD; possibly available from an OEM Vista DVD

We might be able to provide more assistance if you provide your laptop's brand & model. Your choice; not necessary at this point, but probably very helpful.

Check the Laptop manufacturer's support site for assistance running diags on your computer.

RF123

8. buckethead35

I hope this is the right one:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon
    Date: 2/28/2009 3:25:31 PM
    Event ID: 4101
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: *******
    Description:
    Windows license validated.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon" Guid="{DBE9B383-7CF3-4331-91CC-A3CB16A3B538}" EventSourceName="Winlogon" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="16384">4101</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-02-28T20:25:31.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>4367</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>ImBlakeNawrocki</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>0x00000000</Data>
    <Data>0x00000001</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Laptop is a Dell XPS m1530 btw, and the disk says Reinstallation DVD, which I'm about to system restore from.

UPDATE - System restore didn't work. I booted from the disk and chose 'repair your comupter'. When i click system restore, nothing happens. I tried clicking again and it says that system restore is already running. I've tried rebooting the disk 3 times with the same problem...

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

b:
    1. Backup all of your important data, NOW!
    2. Run HDD diags.
    3. Run RAM diags - available from a Microsoft Vista DVD; possibly available from your Dell Vista DVD

Thanks for providing the chk dsk results. They look ok.

By "system restore, nothing happens." what do you mean? Try again. After clicking the system restore, wait 5 minutes; use a watch / clock to determine time.

Did you try "repair" >> "startup repair"? In theory, this will scan your computer for Windows file corruption and replace any corrupt files.
    http://linkdor.com/blog/2008/08/17/repair-the-mbr-with-vista-dvd/

RF123

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

Which Vista: Home, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate?

http://support.dell.com/support/top...ral?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~ck=mn&SystemID=XPS_M1530

product manual
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...ms_info/manuals?~ck=ln&c=us&l=en&lnki=0&s=gen

Dell Diags
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...ystemID=XPS_M1530&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Left click "+" to left of Diagnostics
    Check your optical disks from Dell. Previously, Dell had provided the diags on an optical disk. I think you have to boot from the Diag Disk. You may need to enter your PC's BIOS, to configure it to boot from an optical disk.

Can you create a folder with a unique name?

Can you create a notepad file with a unique name?

Do they remain, after a reboot?

RF123

11. buckethead35

Okay, I got system restore to work. It just took a couple minutes to load up. The problem didn't fix though, so i tried the diagnostics.
    It said that no problems were found. :confused:
    I also tried 'startup repair', which didn't do anything either.
    Still can't create folders with their own names. Well, i can name it whatever, but it will still show as just the date created...
    I'm running Vista Home Premium btw.

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

What do you mean by:I also tried 'startup repair', which didn't do anything either. ?
    No activity? Failed to fix issue?
    Which SP of VHP?

Are the time & date of your PC correct [ clock in system tray display ]?
    The problem you report, bh, is desired by some.
    http://www.sharewareconnection.com/custom-folder.htm

and reported by others. See R.C. White's post at
    http://www.winvistatips.com/file-and-folder-names-gone-t25009.html

Source: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

THUS, do this:
    On your desktop, RIGHT click. Left click "new". create a folder with the name: TGF

Also, Open Notepad. Save, to your desktop, without "", "tgf" or tgf.txt depending on whether or not your PC is set to hide extensions for known file tpes.

start > control panel > classic view > folder options > "view" tab
    uncheck "hide extensions for . . "
    OK.
    Close CP
    Press F5 key to refresh view.

create folder, called TGF_1
    using notepad, create file called tgf_1.txt

Report.

If the problem persists, proceed as follows.

Which diags did you run?
    For ram, 8 hrs of Memtest86, www.memtest86.com
    Do you know how to set your computer to boot to a floppy drive and an optical drive?
    Go to http://www.memtest86.com/ .
    On the left, left click on "free downloads".
    Down the floppy file or .iso file. I think you will need CD burning software other than the Vista burning software, to create a bootable CD from an .iso file.

RF123

13. buckethead35

Startup repair ran fine but didn't fix anything.
    It's SP 1 of Vista and the date/time are correct.
    That second link is my exact problem. Don' know why i never found the page when i was looking for an answer...

I ran the Dell diagnostics you linked to by it booting from a USB flash drive, and I ran the diagnostics available from my Vista reinstallation disk.
    Both reported no errors.
    Anyways, I was trying to find the "view" tab you're talking about, and it turns out that I don't have a 'Folder Options' icon in the control panel. I can't search for it either since the search function doesn't work anymore. Is there any other location it could be found in?

Edit - Breakthrough! I realized that in Windows Explorer, the only sorting column was 'Date Modified'. I went to the options and check the 'Filename' box and everything looks fine, but this is only if the view is set to 'Details' rather than 'List' or 'Icons', and the desktop icons are still a problem. Also, it's a bit annoying to have to use 2 columns for looking at files, because the 'Date Modified' box is grayed and unclickable, so I'm assuming that the files are still using this as a primary sorting system if i can't choose to not show this column. Especially since I tried right-clicking the desktop and changing the view to something else, but the only option is 'date modified'.

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

15. buckethead35

This makes things a bit easier, but I still can't sort by anything other than 'Date Modified' on the desktop, which is really irritating. I just don't get an option to remove that sorting column from any of my folders either.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!