1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Icons in Favourites List

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by theMusicMan, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Hello All

1stly, hope you all had a great Christmas.

2nd - here's the query. Sometimes in my favourites list in IE5 I have seen icons as logos representing the www page they are from. Presently, the icons are all the same i.e. they are all the Internet Explorer icon.

How do I get the icon for the www page to display and not the IE icon?

Apologies if I have not explained myself very well here.

Ta in advance.

John

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    The icons that you see appear next to the Favorites are stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder. The problem is that folder gets cleared periodically and the icons are gone after that. It's a pain in the butt but the only way to retain them is when you see them appear, do this

Start>Find>Files, key in *.ico and press enter. Now scroll down and locate the .ico file for your favorite.

Once it's found, copy the .ico file to any permanent folder. Then if you Right click on the Favorite, select Properties, click on "Change Icon", click on Browse and set it to the icon you saved to the permanent folder. Then it will stay in place.

3. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Thanks Brian - much appreciated. Incidentally, I am not a "Junior User" as it suggests against my name - how do I change that???

John

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    John, we truly don't pay any attention to those titles. They are based solely on the number of posts and don't in any way reflect a users skill level. <a href=http://forums.techguy.org/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=3#mods> This <a/> explains it if your interested. And your welcome and have nice holiday ......

BTW, that must have been a typo on your part. The titles are Junior Member, Member, Senior Member, etc ..... rather than Junior User, etc...

5. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

PC Magazine published a program called FavOrg about a year ago that will work in WIndows to preserve the cute icons some web sites use. It scans your bookmark file in IE and then connects to each website, saving any associated icon files permanently.

You can download it here:

FavOrg

I have used it and it works fine, but if you have a lot of bookmarks, it will take several minutes to complete its job, even with a fast connection.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!