Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icons in Favourites List

949 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Gnosisless 
#1 ·
Hello All

1stly, hope you all had a great Christmas.

2nd - here's the query. Sometimes in my favourites list in IE5 I have seen icons as logos representing the www page they are from. Presently, the icons are all the same i.e. they are all the Internet Explorer icon.

How do I get the icon for the www page to display and not the IE icon?

Apologies if I have not explained myself very well here.

Ta in advance.

John

#2 ·
The icons that you see appear next to the Favorites are stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder. The problem is that folder gets cleared periodically and the icons are gone after that. It's a pain in the butt but the only way to retain them is when you see them appear, do this

Start>Find>Files, key in *.ico and press enter. Now scroll down and locate the .ico file for your favorite.

Once it's found, copy the .ico file to any permanent folder. Then if you Right click on the Favorite, select Properties, click on "Change Icon", click on Browse and set it to the icon you saved to the permanent folder. Then it will stay in place.

#4 ·
John, we truly don't pay any attention to those titles. They are based solely on the number of posts and don't in any way reflect a users skill level. <a href=http://forums.techguy.org/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=3#mods> This <a/> explains it if your interested. And your welcome and have nice holiday ......

BTW, that must have been a typo on your part. The titles are Junior Member, Member, Senior Member, etc ..... rather than Junior User, etc...

#5 ·
PC Magazine published a program called FavOrg about a year ago that will work in WIndows to preserve the cute icons some web sites use. It scans your bookmark file in IE and then connects to each website, saving any associated icon files permanently.

You can download it here:

FavOrg

I have used it and it works fine, but if you have a lot of bookmarks, it will take several minutes to complete its job, even with a fast connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.