1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Icons not showing correct image

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jturn00, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jturn00

jturn00 Thread Starter

Many of my icons are showing a square box instead of the correct application image. The applications run fine.

I attached a photo of my desktop.

Jeff

Attached Files:

2. Claymore

Claymore

This is often taken care of by a restart in Safe Mode, then a restart in Normal Mode, but you can try this:

Download TweakUI here. You want the 147 KB version on the right.

After download & install go to Repair => Rebuild Icons.

Restart.

3. jturn00

jturn00 Thread Starter

I ran the tool and rebooted to safe mode. Those did not work. I figured I would just change the icons and that is when I got the errors shown in the image below. Is there anyway to fix this?

Jeff

MY it support did say there was a virus or trojan on the computer and they cleaned it up but it left this problem. They are also looking at this problem but if they don't fix it they will wipe the computer clean.

Attached Files:

4. Claymore

Claymore

If it's only those few icons, and not a widespread condition, what happens if you locate the program the shortcut is pointing to (target) and the right-click and 'Send shortcut to Desktop'?

5. jturn00

jturn00 Thread Starter

I tried that and the icon came up. Is there a quick way to associate these or do I have to go through each one? How about a registry repair tool?

6. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Jeff, Your max iconcache may need to be increased. Go to the link below and scroll down to line 166 (right column) and download the "Add Icon Cache Size to Folder Options/View" .reg file. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. This will give you 4 icon cache choices under the View tab in Folder Options. You can experiment with the choices starting with the smallest first. See if this corrects your problem.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

7. jturn00

jturn00 Thread Starter

Tufenuf,

I tried your solution and the icons still didn't return.

8. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

Jeff, Did you restart your computer after you ran the reg file?

Tufenuf

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643830