Icons not showing correct image

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jturn00

Many of my icons are showing a square box instead of the correct application image. The applications run fine.

I attached a photo of my desktop.

Jeff

Attachments

This is often taken care of by a restart in Safe Mode, then a restart in Normal Mode, but you can try this:

Download TweakUI here. You want the 147 KB version on the right.

After download & install go to Repair => Rebuild Icons.

Restart.

jturn00

I ran the tool and rebooted to safe mode. Those did not work. I figured I would just change the icons and that is when I got the errors shown in the image below. Is there anyway to fix this?

Jeff

MY it support did say there was a virus or trojan on the computer and they cleaned it up but it left this problem. They are also looking at this problem but if they don't fix it they will wipe the computer clean.

Attachments

If it's only those few icons, and not a widespread condition, what happens if you locate the program the shortcut is pointing to (target) and the right-click and 'Send shortcut to Desktop'?

jturn00

I tried that and the icon came up. Is there a quick way to associate these or do I have to go through each one? How about a registry repair tool?

Jeff, Your max iconcache may need to be increased. Go to the link below and scroll down to line 166 (right column) and download the "Add Icon Cache Size to Folder Options/View" .reg file. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. This will give you 4 icon cache choices under the View tab in Folder Options. You can experiment with the choices starting with the smallest first. See if this corrects your problem.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online