1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Icons on the desktop VS. performance

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Flashback, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flashback

Flashback Thread Starter

For years I have been hearing that having too much stuff on your desktop can hurt the computers performance. Now someone is trying to tell me that's not the case. I tend to believe they're wrong because the new version of OS X is going to have a feature which specifically avoids performance loss of this kind. Even though I remember reading about the desktop performance loss here at TSG a few years ago I couldn't find anything about it when doing a search. Can someone tell me if loading up the desktop hurts performance, and if so then how? Any links to articles about this would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. radar81967

radar81967

the icons on desktop (though can really junk-up the place!) are not running a program, just a quick way to access...for proformance sake it is the programs running in your sys tray that you need to be concerned about.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Having icons or even files stored on the Desktop has nothing to do with performance. The desktop is just another folder.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!