Icons - what program do they open in by default?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hotskates

I recently installed Nero software for burning DVD's and aparently I gave the software permission to open all icons under Nero instead of where they opened from before. When I go to my icon folder to choose an icon, instead of seeing all of the icons I have placed, there, all I see is about 100 Nero icons. I could uninstall Nero and I suppose that would correct the problem, but maybe I won't have to if I can find out how they were opened before.

Hi there

Now I may be barking up the wrong tree but when i right click on an icon and select change icon the location it opens is

%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

This seems to have various windows icons.

Hope this helps.

Andy

PS sorry if I'm talking rubbish.

PPS I have just re read your post and think you may be talking about file association eg always open *.jpg files with Photoshop. in this case other than right clicking on a particular file and choosing open with, and ticking always use this program. I don't know of any other way.

hotskates

AndyTDI said:
PPS I have just re read your post and think you may be talking about file association eg always open *.jpg files with Photoshop. in this case other than right clicking on a particular file and choosing open with, and ticking always use this program. I don't know of any other way.
Hi Andy....I think I am talking about file association. My wording was pretty clumsey as I wasn't sure how to word my question. I made a separate folder and titled it "My Icons" and in that folder I have about 100 icon files that I have downloaded and I use from time to time, by the "change the icon" feature. They have always showed up as just the icons themselves until now. Like I said, they now all have the Nero Icon instead. I can't remember what program they were associated with before.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I have no File association setup for ICON files on my PC. You should be able to go into folder options > file types and just remove whatever associations it has for icons.

You can always do a system restore to before you installed the software (if that is what is causing the problem). That will give you your icons back.

hotskates

SacsTC said:
You can always do a system restore to before you installed the software (if that is what is causing the problem). That will give you your icons back.
I just deleted Nero software, and my icon folder with all the icons is back to normal. I'll reinstall Nero later and be careful when reading over the options of which areas Nero should take over.

So you have a folder that you have downloaded various icon files (*.ico) into. These you then use to highlight various file types. These have now all changed to Nero icons ?

If so then i'm not sure what has gone on there, I now when you install Nero7Premium or one of the big Nero packages it does ask you to assign just about every file type to Nero !! but this would only change the icon of particular file types. e.g if you had decided that all *.jpg files would be opened by Photoshop they would have the photoshop icon then after installing Nero it would have the Nero icon.
I don't know why it would change a folder full of icon files.

Bit long winded that just to say I don't know what to suggest.

Sorry but I have run out of ideas.

Andy

\EDIT\ Got delayed during typing that reply, now I see you have got it solved. Nice one(y) \EDIT\

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online