Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icons won't align along the bottom of the desktop

10K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jmwills 
#1 ·
A user is having a problem where her icons won't align along the very bottom grid on the desktop(just above the Start taskbar). I've tried changing the screen resolution but that didn't fix the problem.

What would be causing this and how can I fix it?

#2 ·
I'm not really sure I understand your question. In other words, instead of the icons running vertical you want them to run horizontal along the bottom of the desktop?

If that's the case, right click on the desktop and go to "Arrange icons by". Leave all items unchecked except for "Align to Grid" and "Show Desktop Icons". You should be able to move the icons horizontal along the taskbar.

To keep the icons where you put them, download a program called "Icon Restore"

Here: http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html

Should the icons get scrambled as changing resolution, etc. this program will return them their original positions. If "Align to Grid" is also left unchecked in the right click menu on the desktop, you can arrange icons in any haphazard way you desire, click on "Save Desktop Icon Layout" in the "Icon Restore" program menu, and should the icons get scrambled up, you will be able to return them to the original haphazard positioning.

Like I said, I don't quite understand your question and maybe what I described here is not what you had in mind, but you'll like the program "Icon Restore" anyway and it's FREE.

#3 ·
Sorry! I should have explained that a little better. She likes to have her icons arranged all around the outside of the desktop (like a square) instead of down the left hand side like most other users. The problem is, she can't get them to align along the very bottom, they align on the next line up instead. I've tried taking the 'Align to Grid' option off and aligning them to where she wants them but as soon as you turn 'Align to Grid' back on, the icons along the bottom realign to the next line up.

Tthis is what I'm talking about...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.