icons

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joetech

I have several icons that are not discriptive and have trouble remembering what they are. I have .zip and .exe icons for example 'rxtx.exe' . Where can I put a note of discription attached to these icons?
Question#2:
I also have an older PC with win95. I only want to delete everything but the OS. Which way is best to actually erase all data and leave win95?
Thanks.
:)

You should be able to put any description you like on the Icons. Basically you just rename them.

A number of ways to do it.

The easy quick way is select the Icon by a left click. The present description should be showing in a little box underneath, left click exactly on the little dotted box line around the letters. Get right on the line, not inside the box with mouse cursor. Box should turn blue highlite, Backspace should clear the box and give a cursor. Enter your new description. Hit Enter.

.EXE Icons might give you trouble if you don't use the EXE extension in your new file name but you should be able to put a very long name in front. Same with ZIP files.

Some Icons must retain their extensions or they may not execute properly. Usually you get a little warning box when you attempt to change. Some files you may not also be able to change the name.

You probably want to write down the present Icon names before you change them in case, they cause a problem latter on. Always want to be able to return to your old conditions. You really want to understand what the Icons are in advance and what they do / relate to.

I will pass on the erasing part. My way of doing it probably would be confusing.

joetech

I've tried renaming before and it seems that some of them would not execute. I guess this will always be a problem until they modify the icon edit.
Thanks.

If the icon is a "Shortcut" icon:

Right-click on it and choose Properties. Under the Shortcut tab go down to "Comment" and put in anything you want. Then if you ever forget what it was for you simply repeat the procedure so that you can view what your comment was.

If the icon is a program rather than a "Shortcut" icon:

Right-click on it and choose Properties. Under the Summary tab go down to "Comments" and put in whatever you want. Then repeat the procedure anytime you need to be reminded of what that program does.

My apologies. i was in my XP OS when i gave the above remarks and i didn't realize that they don't exist in Win98. (Another advantage to XP i guess.)

If the icons you are talking about are program icons, just create a folder inexplorer and move them to that folder. Then create a shortcut to the program on the desktop. Now you can rename the desktop shortcut whatever you want and it will not disrupt opening the program. Rename by right-clicking the shortcut icon and select "Rename". type in what you want to call it and hit enter.

If the icons on the descktop are not program icons, you should be able to simply rename as described above without any problem.

Like a previous poster, i don't use 95 so i'm not much help there, but erasing files is not usually a really good idea. If you are getting rid of the PC and are concerned about someone seeing something private, best to reformat the drive and reinstall the OS clean.

Regards - Ray

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online