1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ICS basic setup tips please

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dghundt, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dghundt

dghundt Thread Starter

I have a desktop running xppro with a wireless card, connecting to a router, that connects to the internet. Internet connection works great.

I have a lan port that I want to connect to a second router. Of course, it is currently set as DHCP, 192.168.0.1 as its main address.

So when I try to set up ICS, I get the expected errors. I do not know how to set up the second router and my computer to get ICS working. I would appreciate some basic instructions please. Thank you. :)

2. blin

blin

I am not sure why you need ICS, but this step by step how to may help. quoted from www.howtonetworking.com/icssetup.htm

How to Setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    Windows 2000 supports both Network Address Translation (NAT) and Internet Confection Shading (ICS) al1ow workgroup users to access to the Internet.. Windows 2000/XP Professional support only ICS. Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) enables a Windows (Win98SE, Win2K and XP) computer to share its Internet connection with computers on local area networks. The computer connecting directly to the Internet and shares its connection with the rest of the computers on the network called the ICS host. In addition, the ICS host provides DHCP to ICS clients. Client computers are protected because they cannot be seen from outside the network. Only the computer running ICS is seen from the public side.

We assume you have all computers physically connected, and the ICS host have two network connections: one (for example Internet in our case) for the Internet such as a dial-up (PPP or ISDN), cable modem, DSL, or other broadband Ethernet connection, and another one (LAN) , for the local area network.

Things you should know about ICS

1. When you enable Internet Connection Sharing, IP address of the Interne NIC in the ICS server is always 192.168.0.1. All clients will be assigned other IP addresses in the 192.168.0.x range.
    2. You should not enable ICS on the computer as a domain controller, DHCP server, or DNS server.
    3. To enable ICS, you must be logged on as a member of the Administrators
    4. You may experience some problems if you use NetMeeting and VPN in your ICS network.
    5. You should have two NICs.

Enabling Host ICS - WinXP

To configure a WinXP ICS host, go to Start>Control Panel>Network Connation. Highline the Internet which connecting to a cable modem in our case. Under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection. On the Advanced tab, select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.

Configuring ICS Client

To setup a win9x (in our case) as ICS client to access the internet, you need to do two things. network settings and internet option settings.

1. Network settings must be set Obtain IP Address Automatically - to do this, go to Network>Properties of TCP/IP.
    2. The Internet browser should se set never dial a connection and no proxy server - go to Internet Options>Connection and LAN settings.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You should be able to connect the two routers through the Ethernet ports rather than the WAN ports.

On the second router, disable any DHCP functions. Then it should basically just function as a switch.

4. dghundt

dghundt Thread Starter

Thank you both for your help.

When I disable the DHCP on the second router (a wireless router), and it becomes a switch, I assume I will lose the capability to connect wirelessly to the second router. I have not heard of a wireless SOHO switch.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If the desktop is already connecting to a wireless router, and nothing on the router is changing, you are only adding a second wired router, I'm not quite sure why the wireless connection would be gone.

Also, from the first post "I have a lan port that I want to connect to a second router". There was no prior mention that the second router was a wireless one. Also the comment that you have a LAN port that you want to use implied a wired connection.

I thought (and I don't have as much experience with this as others on the forum) that if you have a second Wireless router, you need it to be a WAP instead.

6. dghundt

dghundt Thread Starter

Sorry, I was not clear.
    The desktop has two NICs, one wired, one wireless.
    The wireless card connects to a WAP #1(first router) which has an internet connection. The desktop also has a wired ethernet card that I want to connect to WAP #2 (second router) via an ethernet cable. I then would like laptops to connect to the WAP #2 (second router) then to the internet connection via the desktop (ICS). I guess I am trying to bridge two WAPs with my desktop. Thanks for looking at this issue.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice