1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ICS between Vista and XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GoArmyJames, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoArmyJames

GoArmyJames Thread Starter

So to start off, I did a search and found a similar issue but it wasn't quite mine. My issue is this, I have a desktop running XP Pro with a Sprint 595u aircard hooked up which works great, I setup ICS via an Ad-Hoc network with WEP, I have 2 clients, one laptop with XP Pro as well, it connects just fine and can access the internet and fileshare perfectley. The second is a vista laptop which can connect ot the ad-hoc network but can not access the net, I am pretty sure it's something buggy with vista, but I have no idea how to make this work, any help would be appreciated.

2. Evillevy

Evillevy

"Windows Vista includes many improvements to the behavior of the wireless client to mitigate common wireless attacks. The client will automatically connect only to networks the user has explicitly requested or identified as preferred networks, and will not automatically connect to ad hoc networks. The client also provides a warning if the user is about to initiate a connection to an unsecured network. Additionally, the client will actively probe for fewer preferred networks and only if instructed to do so by the user, making it more difficult for attackers to identify what network the client is trying to connect to and create a rogue network with the same name."

If that is not your problem, then can you ping the computer which is set up with the ICS?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "ICS creates an infrastructure network ..."

I should know better than to question you, but I still think that computer to computer requires an ad-hoc wireless, even though ICS does make the computer act as a Dhcp server and simple router. Note that the OP has one client working, and I have (successfully ) advised others to first get an ad-hoc wireless network performing and then just enable ICS on the ethernet connection. Maybe with ICS it will work either way?

OTOH, I'm not sufficiently interested to try it.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

6. GoArmyJames

I can't ping my host computer from my vista laptop, but I am connected to the ad-hoc network it says.

7. GoArmyJames

JohnWill, I used that tutorial to setup ICS on my desktop, and my XP laptop I connected to the adhoc and it works flawlessly, which tells me I set ICS up properly, the deal is my second laptop, my vista box, can connect ot the ad-hoc but won't pickup the ics for some strange reason

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Connected to a wireless network" can mean as little as "broadcasting on the same channel." Since your ICS is working with one PC we know that the IP on the wireless connection of the "host" PC is 192.168.0.1. The IP on the working client is 192.168.0.x and should be such on the Vista. Is it? If not you probably have an encryption problem. Disable encryption and get it working that way. Then re-enable WEP and use a HEX key, not an ascii passcode.

If the Vista did get a correct IP configuration then the problem is firewall (internet security) related.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704550

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice