1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ICS + LAN/WLAN Router configuration

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TheJanus, Sep 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheJanus

TheJanus Thread Starter

I have a (hopefully rather basic) problem with the configuration of my new D-Link router DIR-657.

Now, what I had in mind was rather simple, but apparently I don't know the correct settings to
    achieve it... (A lack of knowlegde on my side, I guess. I have some experience setting up simple
    networks with a few windows computers and broadband modems, but the last time was some
    time ago and this one here seems to be a bit more complicated than I thought...)

I have one PC (Win7 Ultimate 64) with a 3G modem (via USB) and want to use this computer (PC1)
    and the 3G connection to act as the internet connection (using ICS) for my home network.
    This computer now connects to the new D-Link router (via LAN).
    I want to use this router to connect the other devices in this network (LAN/WLAN) with PC1 so they
    can also use this internet connection (via ICS) and also for the other basic network uses (file sharing,
    printing, ...).
    The setup of ICS was not a problem (I think) and the local network (LAN/WLAN) is working alright,
    but how do I have to configure the router so he "knows" that all internet traffic is going through the
    3G connection (ICS) at PC1 (LAN port) and not its WAN port (which is empty) while maintaining
    the functionality of the network (file sharing, printer,...) of course.

[FYI... I want to use PC1 (with 3G) for my internet connection because I want/need the VPN
    connection I have installed on this PC. While there are a few (WLAN-)router out there that can
    handle 3G modems I don't know any that also have a VPN tunnel integrated into their software.
    (And even if there are router that could handle both ... I guess I would have to spend more for
    those than I would like.) Which is why I prefer to use PC1 (with ICS and the VPN tunnel) to
    connect my network to the internet.]

I thought that this would be a basic task for any router but could the problem be that this router
    may have been designed to primarily connect to the internet using the WAN port? Using ICS on
    a computer on a LAN port may not be (automatically) supported (or so it seems) and requires
    additional or different settings. ...or I simply don't know how to do it... yet.

This might also help...

WWW --- 3G --- PC1 --- DIR-657 --- PC2/PC3/printer/media server (TV)/... [LAN + WLAN]

DIR-657:
    IP Address : 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server : Enabled

DHCP Range: 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.199

PC1:
    IP Address: 192.168.0.5 (currently)

As I said... I have some experience with networks, but that was a while ago and I am not sure if
    I remember everything correctly... so, to be on the save side, please keep your answers simple.
    If I need more technical details we can cover those a bit later in this thread... as needed. ;)
    ... or I will simply ask you to clarify or explain more detailed. ;)

Secondary question:
    Since I am using a different media server (WLAN) for media streaming to my TV should I turn off
    the media server function of the DIR-657? Does that make no difference or would that have an
    effect (positive or negative) on my network (performance, stability, ...)?

Thank you very much. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. ;)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

3. TheJanus

TheJanus Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. I actually found that article/entry already, but since I had some problems with this procedure I decided to post the whole problem...
    The "primary" router in my case would be the ICS on PC1, but as I understand it I don't really have many or rather any options to configure ICS, i.e. define the range of DHCP or anything else, or am I mistaken?
    Also, and correct me if I am wrong about this, I wanted the router (D-Link) to "manage" the IPs in the network (with PC1 being static) since there will, on occasion, naturally be more devices (guests, ...) using the network and I want the router to handle that. ...since that seems like an original task of a router.
    (I am actually not sure about this, but would the router (D-Link) still manage the IPs in the network (dynamic) if I turned of DHCP?)

Do I really need to connect the router (LAN port) and PC1 (LAN port) with a cross-over cable? Why?

Basically, I guess, my question is how to configure the router so he "knows" that one PC in the network has an available internet connection that he could/should/has to use... ?
    The router should manage the network (as intended by definition) and PC1 only provide the internet connection (while maintaining network access for file sharing, printer, etc.) and not manage the clients/devices.
    Is the goal/intention somewhat understandable? And more importantly is it doable? How?
    Thanks again.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That is correct. You just have to choose an IP for the router that probably will not be chosen by the ICS Dhcp server.

Only if PC1 is not a computer and neither router has auto-sensing ports.

No.

Use it as a router; connect its WAN port to the PC with internet connection.

Yes.

No; but maybe--see the following.

Maybe if you use the router as a router (see above) and then also connect PC1 to the router as a client (with another ethernet or Wi-Fi adapter) using a static IP (leave the default gateway and DNS servers blank). This is something I just dreamed up; I have never heard of anybody trying this idea.

5. TheJanus

TheJanus Thread Starter

Thanx... So just to see if I got this right...
    Basically the setup I had in mind is not as simple as I thought...

Are there any informations available as to which IPs are or are not used by the ICS DHCP server?
    Would a different subnet suffice or would it have to be a completely different IP?
    e.g. 192.168.33.XXX for the network (router) and 192.168.1.1 for the ICS on PC1 (static)?
    ...would/should that suffice?

Which port on the router should I use for the connection to PC1 (ICS), ethernet or WAN port?
    If I use the WAN port I assume the regular network functions (file sharing, windows network, printer, ...) will not be available, correct?
    Also, if the IP of PC1 (ICS) and the IP of the rest of the network are different, that should mean that the regular windows network (or any network) would not work, correct? So, even if I manage to connect to router to the internet (using ICS) I will not have a working (windows) network between PC1 and the other devices on the router, correct?
    Ok, let me just say... That's fubar! :(

Actually, let me turn this problem around...
    What would the most practical setup be for a network like this... (including different hardware/software/whatever...)
    I would really like to hear some ideas that might actually work... since my plan worked out so well. ;)

- I have a 3G internet connection which I currently use to connect one computer (PC1) with the internet (using a secure VPN tunnel!) .
    - I have several other devices/computers (mostly WLAN) that I would also like to connect to the internet using this VPN tunnel.
    - Simultaneously I want to maintain the regular (windows) home network for file sharing, printer, media server.

How can/should I set up such a network to make it work? ...without breaking the bank or needing a PhD in computer science. ;)
    Any ideas, suggestions, concrete layouts, ...?
    I would REALLY appreciate any help/advice I could get. Thank you! :)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For Windows 7 I assume 192.168.137.2 through .254 are potentially used.

A router compatible with your 3G modem.

7. TheJanus

TheJanus Thread Starter

Thank you. I was also considering this option and have now decided that a 3G compatible router will be the most practical solution. I will exchange the DIR-657 for a 3G compatible TP-Link router.
    I agree that this will (should) be much easier than somehow forcing the plan I had in mind. Especially since I am not that experienced with networks. This would just give me a major headache. ;)
    Thank you for your help. It is really appreciated.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1108446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice