ICS not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Skinner

My firewall is not working and ICS cannot be started. WMI is also screwed. Would it help to re-install SP2?:)

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Skinner, I deleted your other 2 threads. If you have 111 posts already I would think you'd know enough not to create dupe threads! :confused:

Skinner

That's cos no-one is replying! All I want to know is: Can I re-install SP2 without hiccups?

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
How did you install Service Pack 2 to begin with?
On line, ordered CD from Microsoft or downloaded the file from Microsoft?

Did you turn off the Firewall and Anti-virus programs before installing Service Pack 2?

You can also bump your thread with a reply, if no one answers for 24 hours.

Skinner

:( Downloaded it from Microsoft. Not sure if I turned off firewalls/antivirus before installing... What are you getting at?

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
If the Firewall and Anti-virus programs are running while installing Service Pack 2, they could interfere with the installation.

Skinner

Can I re-install SP2 without incurring damage? I have already tried and get an error about the kernel file not being a Windows file or something...

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
From what I read about issues with WMI, reinstalling SP2 will not fix the issue. You can try but it doesn't seem to fix it. Even a repair install, doesn't seem to fix this issue. I spent about an hour researching your WMI problem and it can be caused by several things. I am not quite sure where to start.

Skinner

Yes you are right - I re-installed SP2 (after changing boot screen and Welcome screen back to standard) and the ICS is still not working, wail! I think the only option now is to re-install XP...unless some kind (and clever) person knows which files I should copy from C: system to D::confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online