1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ICS Problem on Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by techgrl, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techgrl

techgrl Thread Starter

I have 2 computers.. XP home and 98. I have them joined w/an ethernet cable. I recently got a new modem (directpc user) and have not been able to get my internet on the upstairs computer (98). I can share files between the two, but I keep getting an error when using the ICS wizard/network wizard. I have pinged the downstairs (connected directly) and got a reply but cannot access the internet from upstairs. Any suggestions???

2. Spacetop

Spacetop

Try assigning a static ip to the computer running ICS in TCP/IP Properties like 192.168.1.1, and set a gateway to that ip on the one that does not see the internet. Manually setting this might help...

3. techgrl

techgrl Thread Starter

How do I set a gateway? Thanks for helping

4. Spacetop

Spacetop

If you go to your network properties and go to properties of TCP/IP protocol, there's a default gateway option (if my memory serves me correctly, it's been a while since i used 98..). There might be a posibility that u will have to assign a manual ip to the 98 pc as well as dns servers... to get your dns servers, on xp pc type in ipconfig /all in command prompt (Start->Run->"cmd"). So just assign an ip to 98 like 192.168.1.2

Post if you have any further issues.

5. coulterp

coulterp

If you are using ICS you need to be using the 192.168.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 sub-net for your network; it defaults to that and cannot be altered. Look up "ICS" on your XP Help pages for details. Thus where 192.168.1.1 has been suggested you will need to alter accordingly.

The connection being shared (the modem connection) will be 192.168.0.1 (and Windows wll not let that be altered) and ICS will act as a DHCP server allocating IP address range 192.168.0.2 .. 192.168.0.254 to clients (i.e. the interface cards in the PCs). Thus the Ethernet adaptors will probably get addresses 192.168.0.2 and .3 automatically although you can manualy set them if you wish. Your default gateway on each NIC will be 192.168.0.1.

6. techgrl

techgrl Thread Starter

Why can my computers both share files, but I can only access the internet via one? When I use the ICS wizard I get a "dependency" error. Any takers on what this means? Thanks so much for all your help thus far

7. coulterp

coulterp

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice