1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'd like a some help on buying a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by prowler351, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prowler351

prowler351 Thread Starter

I've always had/built desktop PC's and I've recently become a firefighter, so with my downtime at the station I've decided to pick me up a laptop.While I'm great with desktop, I don't know Jack about a laptop and was hoping to get some good info here.

I'd like to buy one that'll last a while and I do some gaming.
    Don't want to spend over $1400.00.

Some main Q's I have are...

Are more cells in the battery always better?(ie. 6cell vs. 8 cell)

Are the intel Chips performing better than AMD right now?

I was going to get a nice high resolution screen. Something like 1920x1080, but was wanting to hear from anyone who has similar because im afraid the text and other things might be too small to easily read. My eyes are pretty good but is this a complaint for anyone?

Which video cards in laptops are top notch at the moment and are many of these newer laptops coming with the ability to upgrade the cards later or are they still integrated in?
    A few that i've looked at say they have a Dedicated video card but I don't know if that makes them removable or not.

I'm working on finding all this stuff out, but in since I'm just getting into laptops and the tech changes so fast its hard to get good information that's current.

Thanks for helping me out and I'll take any other info/advice you may have :)

2. Compaq__

Compaq__

3. prowler351

Thanks for finding that, but newegg has ones quite a bit better than that one in almost every way.(faster bus, bigger drive, more ram, faster processor,faster ram,more dedicated video ram,bigger, higher resolution screen,longer warranty, and better video card.) for just a little bit more money.

I'm not posting that to be a prick or anything. But if you or anyone else who views this is also looking for laptop, I wanted to let them know I've found better deals elsewhere.

I like the Firefighter red!!! but our trucks are all white and blue :(

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

The deal means nothing if you are talking about Asus, or Acer, Toshiba or some of the junk laptops I saw at Newegg. Don't just look at cpu and ram or you will get into real trouble.
    I do see some HP's there and for my money they are the best. See if you can find a real video card vs onboard. The Dell Small Business Division Vostros have real video cards and some decent value as well.
    As to cpu, well yes the Intel cpu's really do blow away the Amd versions and if you do get Vista get at least 2 gb ram as Vista is a heavy ram user.

5. Compaq__

Compaq__

I don't see that on NEWEGG. I'd like to see the link so I can comment.

As for the HP though. It's a good machine but it's not a GAMING system. The XPS is built for gaming. It's just a more robust machine. Now, the AMD is a less expensive processor than INTEL which cuts price. 3 Gig ram is only another 50 bucks over 2 gig. Bout the same to increase the BUS speed. The sound on the HP is very basic compared ot the DELL and the HP has integrated video.

Put the two machines together and they both look nice but you would see the difference. From what you said, the HP will do what you want but if you are a gamer, the XPS is the way to go.

6. Compiler

Compiler

What are the min. specs you want prowler351?

15 or 17" screen. XP or vista? Provide us links to some notebooks you are thinking about... we don't have much of a starting point.

7. prowler351

I'd like an intel dual core processor at 2.2 ghz or greater. 1000mhz bus or better. if i have to stick with ddr2 ram then i'd like to get one that already comes with some at a higher speed than 600 mhz and have 3+ gigs of it. don't care about the OS much as I'll prolly put xp and linux on it.Then I want to get the best Video card i can get and its gotta have 256+ dedicated ramGDDR3 or better and be a dedicated card, ATI or Nvidia is fine.
    I havnt seen many affordable laptops sporting DDR3 ram and I'm not sure if maybe some comming with ddr2 are capable of upgrading to ddr3 but if they are I'd like to know so I could atleast upgrade to it later but i doubt thats the case.
    I know thats a lot but its a starting point to work with.I'm basically looking for something that will last a while and can handle new games with ease.I cant have cod4 choppy and I'd like to enjoy cod 5 when it comes out too.

Right now I'm kinda interested in this one. "http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117792" but don't know much about the video card in it yet and maybe a battery upgrade to get an 8 cell one.

8. Compiler

Compiler

Getting 2.2+ Ghz is easy of course. DDR3 memory is not easy, nor is it required. Even in desktop systems - DDR3 doesn't improve C2D CPUs all that much. Now, the upcoming new CPUs from Intel will require DDR3 and are 0% compatible with todays motherboards/CPU socket. Going from 775 to 1200something... ouch.

Now, when you're pasting a weblink to this site, just paste the link, don't put it in quotes as that kills "the link".

Getting a notebook with DDR2-800mhz or faster is rare. But a way around that is to get a notebook with 1-2GB of 667Mhz and then replacing it with 800mhz.

- Sony notebooks have some of the worst support (any SONY PC for that matter).
    - The 3470 graphics is pretty weak... its no better than a 2400XT... A notebook with a 36x0 or 8600/9600 card is recommended.

While this one has slower DDR2 memory, the video card is higher up on the scale than a 3470. http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=440039C4ABC8471E9F73457239FE529F

Here is the best Notebook GPU chart to refer to: http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-2600-XT.3770.0.html

A 15" Thinkpad with a Quadro card is about $1200 (buy it with 1GB, replace with 800mhz)

But THE gaming notebook to get would be this one, it has an 8800 card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834147750

PS: If youre looking at Linux, then a gaming graphics card is not usually needed?

9. prowler351

If I dont find anything else by this weekend, I think I may go to best buy and pick up this one even though its 200 over what i wanted to spend and doesn't have the best G-card. It's got a 7200rpm HD and 4Gigs of DDR3 ram and a 1000mhz bus. It's no tax time on friday through sunday here in Mo so I can get it tax free and I'll get about 50 more dollars back with my best buy card.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8897599&type=product&id=1212192365280

I also found a huge list comparing most all of the notebook GPU's here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile....html?&doom3=&fear=&or=&search=&sort=3dmark06

Thanks for all the help guys. You gave me a lot of info to work with Compiler, and if theres anything else let me know because I won't be able to buy this until Saturday morning so hopefully they won't be sold out.

10. Compiler

Compiler

That Toshiba looks like the best deal for you. Has your color, many of your specs and a very nice video card. The price is excellent for a gaming notebook with that kind of power.

11. prowler351

I got it, and its a great laptop. Great for gaming. Only probs are the dvd drive doesnt eject out,. it gets stuck in and you have to pull it out(going to go exchange it for this reason I think). And the 2 mouse buttons seem hard to push, but the track pad works great.Thanks for the help again guys :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/733507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice