1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I'd like to move all my info on this computer to another...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shavonne, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shavonne

Shavonne Thread Starter

I've been told a few different ways of doing this (using Norton's Ghost, using CDs to transfer/backup all info, removing my hard drive and installing it as a second hard drive in the new computer, using a memory stick to transfer info, hooking up both computers to my cable modem router and transferring info that way...), and I'd like to know which is the most time efficient, thorough, least chance of screwing something up, etc. I think either way, i'd like to backup my information somehow, just in case. Also, I was thinking of doing it the hard drive route..moving it to the new computer as a second drive, but was told I'd have to reinstall every program I have. Will I have to do that any way I go? I'd written down the specs of the new computer, but misplaced them, but I know it's a P4. If the info is needed, I can hook it up to find out again. Thank you in advance for your help!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Using Nortons Ghost would transfer everything including installed programs, but unless the hardware on both computers is identical it will also transfer the drivers which will be incorrect and probably cause a failure to boot.

Also you will have an immediate issue with Windows (assuming XP) as it can only be run on one PC, so it will need reactivation. Thats usually OK unless it was "perinstalled or OEM with the original computer, in which case its not supposed to be "moved"

Realistically on a new system you have to reinstall all applications. Transfer the hard drive as a slave to extract all your data is quickest and costs nothing but a bit of time.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can also "clone" the old drive to the new, transferring over all your programs and settings just as they are on the original machine. The besy way to do that is by connecting the old drive as a secondary in the new machine.

You will probably face the same driver problems mentioned, but you can do a repair installation to overcome that.

4. Shavonne

Shavonne Thread Starter

Thank you for your help!

5. ClubMan

ClubMan

In terms of cloning disks I've found the free Clone Maxx utility from PCInspector useful in the past, in particular once when cloning an important server disk which was very close to hardware failure and only reading after a significant number of retries. If cloning a smaller to a larger disk then once the cloning has been done you can use some form of non-destructive repartitioning/partition resizing to make the additional space accessible. I've generally used QTParted on a Knoppix/Kanotix/Ubuntu live bootable CD to do this but obviously something like PartitionMagic will work if you have it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/408675

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice