1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE Boot drive and SATAII Raid0 DATA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by avvs, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. avvs

avvs Thread Starter

I have the opposite need. I already have an IDE Boot drive for XP and programs. I would like to setup a Raid0 for my data(videos). My MOBO is GigaByte GA-965G-DS3 which has GSATA2 controller to set up the Raid0 and a PATA port working on the same chip. The manual for setting up SATA RAID0 leads me through to the installation of the OS which I do not need. Once I set up the BIOS and Raid0, the machine does not boot as it cannot see the IDE boot drive. It sees it as a SCSI. Do you have a method of setting up the raid such thatit does not become the boot drive and simply functions as a striped DATA storage ?

Thanks
    AVVS

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I put this in your own thread. When you have a problem, please start your own thread rather than posting on an existing thread. The reason for this is that with one problem per thread it is difficult to follow what has/has not been done; with two or more it becomes impossible.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As to your problem, you would need to enter the bios and select the ide drive as the boot drive.

FWIW I never recommend using onboard raid. It has always been my opinion that if you want raid, buy a real raid card. If you are just looking for fast drive access, I would go with one of the new seagate 7200.11 drives. They have 32meg of cache and they are just about as fast as a raptor drive.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. Does your board have two ide connectors that are not controlled by the raid controller OR are all of the pata [ide] connectors controlled by the raid controller?

This is one of the many reasons I dislike onboard raid.

5. avvs

avvs Thread Starter

Thanks crjdriver,

I have only one PATA. MY OS IDE is Master and a DVD writer is the slave. This PATA is controlled by the GSATA2 chipset along with two SATA II connectors for the Raid0. I have four other SATAII non-raidable connectors ICH8.

Since starting my thread, I downloaded GBB36X driver from Gigabyte, upgraded my BIOS to F5, got hold of a spare IDE drive, reinstalled WIndows XP Home SP2, used the F6 option to install the third party raid driver ( GBB36X) and found it possible to actually boot up my system.

But I ran into a new snag. I can see my raided drive in the Disk Management console but it is unallocated. It cannot be seen in the MY Computer Display. Do you know how to initialize it ? Apparently it can be striped in an XP Pro.and not in XP home.

You know of any solutions ? Thanks

AVVS

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you partition/format the array in disk management?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/712073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice