1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE cable and SmartCheck

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alwrmc, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    Previously I asked these questions on the MSI (Motherboard) forum and I would like to get a second opinion.
    1. I notice that when I installed the MB/CPU/Memory I now have the two HD's on Secondary Master and Secondary Slave, while the CD burner/DVD burners are on the Primary Master and Primary Slave (IDE slots). Every thing runs ok, but should I switch the cables at the MB connector? If so will there be anything else I need to change?
    2. I set BIOS to enable S.M.A.R.T. but when I run SmartCheck in System Suite 5 only the Primary responds to the check. The secondary says it is not capable. With the old MB they both responded to Smartcheck and always returned a status report of ok. Is there something else I need to set in BIOS?
    I was told to put one HD and one optical drive as primary and secondary on the Primary IDE and the other two devices as primary and secondary on the other IDE cable. This change might return my HD's S.M.A.R.T. back to normal. I was also told that I should edit my Boot.INI file or else Windows might not boot. Could I get other opinions on these please?

2. WarC

WarC

It's usually a good idea to have your harddrives on the primary IDE channel. Yuo won't have to do anything but switch the IDE cable at the MB end. S.M.A.R.T. will probably work then. If not, double check the jumpers for your harddrives. S.M.A.R.T. isn't much of a big deal and actually causes a small performance drop - I stopped using it. So its not an essential thing by any means either way.

Having both harddrives set as the master on each IDE channel as you described with the CD/DVD burners as slaves might work as well. You might run into some problems doing direct copies changing the IDE setup so much, though. So be sure to re-test CD burning once everything is setup how you want it.

Good luck!

3. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    For WarC:
    Thank you, that is pretty much my opinion. Not too sure about the "edit the boot.ini" part however. Not sure why I would be advised to do that.
    BTW: the reason I asked about the S.M.A.R.T. was because as I boot up, I got a little blurb about it being disabled. I went into BIOS and enabled it. I just hated seeing that "capable but not enabled" remark as it booted.
    If anyone has opinions concerning the editing of the boot.ini file, I would like to hear them also.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice