1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ide cables and drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlMujtahid, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlMujtahid

AlMujtahid Thread Starter

Is there a performance boost in using 80 wire IDE cables to connect my DVD drive and CD-RW drive? Or will 40 wire do the same thing?

If I wanted to, how could I add a third HDD(not likely) or a third optica drive, say DVD-RW (more likely)? I know on my mobo manual and in BIOS there is a 3rd an 4th IDE interface but I dont remember seeing any places on the mobo to plug any cables into.

Any ideas?

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi There!

Using an 80 Pin IDE ribbon cable for DVD/CD-Rom drives won't make much difference at all. Normally, DVD & CD-Rom drives do not use the UATA specs so a 40 pin cable would be fine.

as far as adding a 3rd HDD, to the IDE Chain, Each IDE Controller can handle 2 drives. Your motherboard may have U-ATA Controllers in addition to the IDE controllers and that is where you would need to configure things more the added HDD.

Good Luck

ST

3. AlMujtahid

AlMujtahid Thread Starter

Thanks Sexy Tech.

I know I should just stop fiddling with this machine and enjoy it but I cant help it.

4. SexyTech

SexyTech

How else are ya gonna learn if you don't try new things???

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/153036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice