1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE CD R/RW disappeared NO SOUNDS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Art4you, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Art4you

Art4you Thread Starter

While attempting to discover why a working CD-R/RW drive will not play any audio through the speakers, I systematically searched through all the drivers, etc. All drivers are working. In fact the CD-ROM drive operates for all data CD's and writes to a Data CD. So I checked cables, wiring, unplugged the speaker cables and replugged them, What? I heard a sound. But the CD still will not play Audio. Actually, the PC will not make any sounds either.

So I went into Device Manager and looked into the Event Viewer and found the following. "The device IDE-CD R/RW disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal. The date is 9/3/2004.

This date corresponds (suspiciously) with when I had reformatted the "C" drive and reinstalled Windows XP Home version. I did not open or move the CPU. So my question is: How did the CD think it got removed?

My second question is: How do I remedy this situation?
    I went to the Microsoft events.asp and came up without a solution.
    Can anyone explain to me what happened and how I can fix it? Remember, the CD Reads/Writes but does not play Audio. The speakers apparently work okay, because reinstalling a cable causes sound. The PC does not make any sounds either, no music, no chimes, no beeps.

I may have two different things going on, one audio and one with the CD. I don't know and have reached the limits of my experience.

I am using Windows XP Home version 2002.
    The Sound is Creative SB Live located in PCI slot 1, device 9, function 0
    I/O range DF80-DF9F and IRQ 11 with no conflicts, device working properly.

Event ID 12
    The device IDE-CD R/RW 8x4x32 (IDE\CdRomIDE-CD_R/RW_8x4x32_C1.9_\5634324f31314430304c303430312020_0_0_0_0)disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

Please help. Thank you, I really appreciate your help.
    Cinda Gazaway

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Probably the sound for the entire system needs to be fixed first.

How long has the sound been gone (no sound since reinstalling XP, for example)?

Was the reinstallation complete, on a formatted hard drive, or was it just an inplace upgrade of the previous installation?

What is the status of your sound in Device Manager and do things there indicate any problem?

What motherboard, and if a complete reinstallation, were the board chipset drivers installed seperately or by XP setup?

3. Art4you

Art4you Thread Starter

Thank you for your prompt reply. I found the problem for the sound loss to be an unchecked box for Digital Output Only in Play Control, Advanced.

Yes, I did allow XP to reinstall all of the drivers. Everything works now. Only the sound did not since the reinstallation of XP until tonight once I found the unchecked box.

I really appreciate your responding to my inquiry. Do you have any idea why reinstalling XP might cause the device to temporarily disappear?

I would not have known it had disappeared at all except that I check under the Events in Device Manager and scrolled down until I found errors and warnings. What could cause this kind of error when the CPU was not moved or opened? I didn't do any hardware change, just reinstalled XP.

Sorry to be a bother about this. Everything is working quite well now. I just have curiousity as to what could have caused the event error.

Thank you for your assistance.
    Cinda Gazaway

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may have been due to the driver having to be forcefully unloaded during setup or maybe an improper shutdown. In any case, it isn't a serious error---basically just a warning that you shouldn't disconnect things while the machine is still running, and an inappropriate warning in the case of a CD-ROM.

It's hard to understand what a machine is thinking, especially since they can't think :D.

Congratulations and thanks for the followup.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice