1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE channels list SCSI drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moby, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Moby

Moby Thread Starter

I've just built my new computer. It all works and boots into XP fine which is a miracle in itself ;) The Foxconn motherboard I used has 3 IDE channels, or should I say connectors. The primary channel recognises anything plugged into it automatically (hard drives/optical drives). The 2 secondary channels are also the ones that can be set up with a IDE RAID setup. There are also 4 SATA connectors which I'm not using yet. From my reading I have to install the raid controller ITE8212F to give me the option of using a RAID setup (obviously), but also to make these extra channels normal IDE channels with no RAID setup. They have to be controlled by something and one of the RAID options is to do nothing apparently.ie - just use the IDE connectors as standard IDE channels. I can't for the life of me work out how to install the drivers from the supplied floppy after I have installed windows. (The ones you use during setup by pressing F6 to install drivers for additional drives/RAID setups). There's no setup file and I don't know where these files should simply be placed if that's all I should do with them.
    But my question :-
    Do I need them anyway? I don't want to use a RAID setup yet. I have a hard drive plugged into each of these secondary channels and I am assuming that XP's own controller is recognising the correct hard drives connected to them. I even boot from one of them no problem. They are listed as SCSI drives in Device manager though. Does this matter? What's the difference between SCSI and IDE drives, which are connected to a IDE connector? Is one faster than the other? Any advantages/disadvantages? It all works fine so do I gain anything just by controlling these drives with an IDE controller as opposed to a SCSI/RAID controller which they are listed as at the moment?
    Also
    My Pentium D640 (3.2ghz) 64bit processor is listed as 2 32 bit processors in device manager. The board ( Foxconn915P7AD 8EKRS) supports the processor. Is this just the way they are listed or do I have to update the bios maybe. Again it works fine, is recognised as the correct processor/clock speed/fsb speed/core voltage etc in the bios. I was just expecting to see one processor listed.

If I can just get those 2 queries out of the way, or ignore them if they're ok, then I can start using the beast properly and get off this stone age thing I currently use.
    Thanks for your time.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is normal for drives connected to a controller ie promise, highpoint, etc to be listed as scsi. That is just the way windows does things.

Onboard controllers can [generally] be set to raid OR non-raid, however the onboard controller cannot do both. Check your manual for the procedure to set this in the bios. When you configure the controller as standard ide, does it show up in device manager without any yellow marks? If so, then you can just connect drives to it and windows should recognize the drives. Some onboard controllers have different drivers depending on the mode selected ie raid or non-raid. Others use the same drivers. FWIW I dislike onboard type of raid controllers. They are just a "lite" version of a real raid card; without many of the options and or capabilities of a real raid card. If you use it as a standard ide, then that is fine.

Note I would not connect optical drives to the onboard controller; connect those to your standard ide port.

3. Moby

Moby Thread Starter

Thanks for the answer.
    I have IT8212F drivers on a floppy and in the bios an IT8212F controller listed which is changeable. I don't want to set it to RAID so I've set it to IDE. (The only options). This is where I'm at with drives then being recognised as SCSI drives.
    I haven't actually installed the onboard RAID drivers from the floppy yet as I don't know how as per first post, but I'm thinking if SCSI is normal, and that is what they show up as without loading them, then leave them as they are?? Scsi drives are fine? And Windows is providing something to make them work??? Device manager doesn't see my extra IDE channels as IDE, it sees a SCSI/Raid controller with the drives listed as SCSI drives. Device manager does see a controller for 2 IDE channels, it sees both optical drives correctly on the first channel ( I learned to keep the optical drives away from all this as you suggested - problems with a 'SCSI' DVD drive reading discs) but nothing installed on the second. So I'm assuming that second isn't actually my second, (and I have a third) which are being controlled by the 'SCSI/Raid' controller.
    I have loaded all the other drivers for the board and it all works fine.
    I'm thinking that the only way to 'see' these extra IDE channels as IDE is to load the drivers from the floppy. But do I need to? Everything is set up as I want - with my hard drives listed as 2 SCSI drives under a SCSI/raid controller, instead of IDE drives under an IDE/ATAPI controller.
    Does it matter?
    Thanks again.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, your drives are detected so that is fine.

Each ide channel supports 2 devices so if you have two optical drives connected to ide1, they will show as drive0 and drive1 in disk management. That is normal.

As long as you are able to access your drives, do not worry about HOW windows labels the controller. Just make sure you do not have any yellow marks or ! in device manager.

5. Moby

Moby Thread Starter

Yep they're all there, recognised and working with device manager clean of any errors.
    Do you know if the double processor listing is normal? 64bit processor in compatible board with 32bit windows listed as 2 x 32 bit processors in device manager? Again, it all works with the bios seeing it for what it is and automatically setting the CPU's settings to the levels that I was ready to enter manually. I know I'll only get 32 bits worth of performance out of it anyway.
    Thanks for the advice though, I needed an opinion and you've set my mind to rest.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, that is normal. You have a dual core cpu; it shows as two processors. If it were a dual core with HT, it would show as four.

7. Moby

Moby Thread Starter

If HT means Hyper Thread, my processor (Pentium D640 3.2ghz) does support that and it is enabled in the bios, but only shows 2 listings.
    Thanks for all your help.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I misread your post. You have a single core; HT cpu. It should show as 2 processors in DM.

9. Moby

Moby Thread Starter

Great. Thanks for your time again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!