IDE Controller needed (HP ENVY 17 1001-tx)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joelsoh

Hi everyone!

I've noticed my HP ENVY 17 1001-tx doesn't read CDs/DVDs. So I've taken a look and troubleshoot says I need a driver for my "a588iazs ide controller".

Google doesn't produce any usable results for "a588iazs ide controller". I'll continue searching now, but if anyone on these forums has advice or a solution, that'd be great.

(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...3&lc=en&cc=au&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4188377) - Driver site. Do any of these match what I need? It doesn't seem immediately obvious to me.

Thank you
Joel

Tanis

Shane
What / who told you you need that driver?

You shouldn't need any additional drivers for a CD/DVD drive.

If you look in Device Manager, are there any items listed with a yellow (!) or (?) against them, or any Unknown items?

Triple6

Rob
Thats not a proper/correct name for any standard controller, so its either created by a virtual device/drive or generated by a faulty device.

Have you tried uninstalling that device and rebooting?

Since you mention you cannot read discs, try this fix as it works to solve many problems: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

joelsoh

I've uninstalled and reinstalled it via Device Manager. It seems to run DVDs ok now, but CDs seem to splutter and not be read. I tried the Microsoft Fix It program, and so far no luck. The troubleshooter states "The disc in drive F is not detected, or is not supported."

Also, there are no ! or ? listed in Device Manager.

Confusing that it can read one type (DVDs) , but not the other so far (CDs).

No drivers are needed for optical drives in Windows. Don't even try to install any.

It sounds like your drive has died. But you could try it with another operating system from a boot CD to be sure that it is not software- or Windows-related and the drive is the actual problem.

This will do the job:

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

No drivers are needed for optical drives in Windows. Don't even try to install any.

It sounds like your drive has died. But you could try it with another operating system from a boot CD to be sure that it is not software- or Windows-related and the drive is the actual problem.

This will do the job:

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts