Ide controller or Win 98SE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

petpeople

The following is a message I sent to Intel. I have not received a reply as of yet. I was also going to send it to Microsoft but they want money and I don't particularly want to pay.

My system is a PII 300mhz, Micron. 192 meg of ram. Running Win 98 SE, full version, not an upgrade. Originally it was Win 95. It has an Atlanta 440LX motherboard. I have a CD Rom, Iomega Zip Drive, 3 1/2 inch drive and 6 Gig with about 3 gig free HardDrive. I have been trying to install a new CD-R. The first time was with a Iomega 12X10X40 CD-R. I took it back thinking there could be a conflict. I bought a new 16X10X40 HP CD-R. The same issue. Following is the issue.

I hooked the CD-R up as a slave to the CD rom as master on the secondary IDE terminal. I hooked the Zip drive as the slave to the hard drive as master. I could get the device manager to recognize all drives, and bios to recognize all drives but in my computer the drive letter would not appear. I had only the zip, the cd rom and hard drive acknowledge as drives, the new CD-R is not recognize with a drive letter. (note: the 3 1/2 is no problem, always recognized, that is why it is never mentioned) I switched the CD-R as slave off the hard drive, with the same results. If I disconnect the zip drive then the CD-R is recognized. When I reapply the zip then the zip is recognized and the CD-R is not. I remove all drives in safe mode prior to changing, to ensure they were picked up again. I disconnected the zip drive and removed all software for the CD-R and the CD-R itself, and re-installed the CD-R and its software. Then I did the same with the zip drive. Again with the same results. I talked to each of the manufactories support to resolve this problem. They could not help.

Their suggestion is possibly an IDE problem. Is this a possibility? If so how do I correct it?

I do have another computer by the same manufacture. It is a 450 mhz, PII with the same configuration, CD rom, zip drive, 10 gig hd. I installed the CD-R onto it with no problem. Running fine. I don't know what the motherboard is.

Could it possibly be Win98 se problem, with possible missing or corrupt files? I will be e-mailing them with the same question.

Thanx for your time. I do have 2 e-mails and would appreciate it if you would return any correspondence to both.

Jesse Walters
walters@ados.com
Jesse.Walters@Weyerhaeuser.com

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi petpeople, welcome to TSG! (what kind? cats, I hope :D )

Anyway, let's start with this, start button, run, then type sysedit and press ok.....take a look at the config.sys tab....is there a line there saying LASTDRIVE=?

petpeople

Thanx AcaCandy, for the welcome. (Both 8) ) Currently I am at work, I will get that information to you tomorrow, but just in case what else can I get that may help out my cause? In case you are still around. I will let you know, that I did go through technical support for both CD-R's. They took me through quite a bit, but I am not sure what I have and haven't been through. Iomega went through this quite thoroughly.

Thanx again

petpeople

AcaCandy, there is no line at all that says Lastdrive=. I have nothing in my config.sys or autoexec.bat that refers to any of my drives, cd, zip, etc...

Config.sys
@C:\progra~1\norton~1\navdx.exe /startup
set blaster=a260 I10- d3 h7 p330 t6
set ctsyn=c:\windows
C:\progra~1\creative\sblive\dosdrv\sbeinit.com

Autoexec.bat
device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe

Thanx

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
In device manager, is it being assigned a letter there?

petpeople

No drive letter assigned, nor can I assign a drive letter other than the letters already being used.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Do you have TweakUI installed? If so, go to the control panel, open it up and go to my computer tab....make sure additional drives are checked there.

petpeople

Is it possible that I may be missing a file or 2 in Win98 that tells My Computer to add another drive letter for the device? Like I said, Device manager and Bios both acknowledge there is a device, "my computer" will not?:confused: :confused: :confused:

petpeople

I believe I do have Tweakui installed. Can you run me through the steps to verify I do? Are the steps you outlined Control panel, my computer "additional drives" Is there something in there that is not in the my computer on the desk top like the "additional drives" box?

I am at work now and will not be able to look at this untlil tonight, and maybe not then. Going to a Hockey game tonight, some priorities have presence over others :) In fact working another 12 hours tomorrow and another Hockey game tomorrow night. I will try real hard to look up this information because I do appreciate all the help and I know how it feels to be left hanging.

Thanx

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
There's a tab in TweakUI, called "My computer" where you can check or uncheck the drives you wish to be displayed in "my computer" on the desktop....so, for example, if only A thru E are checked, then you won't see F in "my computer."

Hi Petpeople,

Just for fun, try this. Set your CD-r to master and CDrom to slave.
Which one is recognized now.

petpeople

I will give that a shot and let you know, please give me some time as this will be a little more time consuming since I will have to take the CD-RW out of one machine and into the desired machine, plus I have to work and go to the hockey games, and also that trip to the beach. So much to do so little time. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online