1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE controller problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rickyg, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rickyg

rickyg Thread Starter

I am trying to load win98se. It seems to load alright from the cd but after it has setup I cannot use my cdrom.
    When I go into Control Panel under device manger it tells me that my primary and secondary ide controllers are either not present or not working properly and that I should try to upgrade the drivers for these, the only problem is that I cannot find any updated drivers.
    Can anyone help me with this problem or has anyone had this problem and been able to solve it?
    :(

2. IMM

IMM

What's the make and model of your motherboard?

3. rickyg

rickyg Thread Starter

It is a Gigabyte GA-6LA7.

The cdrom works fine when I use a win98 boot disk but as soon as windows has been installed I lose my cdrom.

4. IMM

IMM

Try running this on it
    http://ftp.gigabyte.com.tw/support/driver/inf_3101011.exe

Can you see a setting for DMA on the cd rom properties in Device manager and is it checked?
    Does this cdrom have a dma jumper. What's the make and model of the CdRom drive? It's not attached to a card rather than the motherboard - is it?

5. rickyg

rickyg Thread Starter

I cannot see a DMA setting under device manager as windows does not recognise the cdrom.
    The only way I can get any info off the cdrom is to use the boot disk from prompt screen only, once windows has loaded I lose any functionality from my cdrom.
    The cdrom I have installed is a Lite on LTR-40125s.
    The jumper setting is set to master as I have it installed on the second ide channel on the motherboard by itself.
    The cdrom is a 40x12x48 speed burner.
    Any help would be more than appreciated.

Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice