IDE Device Failed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jimjamwallawalla

My computer will not boot up the windows XP. I can get to the utility set up (F2 or F12) and run the diagnostics but, after that it goes to a blue screen. The only error message I recevieved was Error code 0F00:136C IDE Device Failed Blank media or no media is present in optical drive. A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. From here my computer locks up and allows nothing to happen except a hard re-boot (hold the power button down for 8 secs) Then I get Floppy diskette seek failure strike F1 to continue or F2 to run set up utility and the entire loop begins again.

Your hard drive may have died.
go into BIOS and set you boot order to boot to the
Hard drive first
cd-dvd rom second
floppy third.
I'm guessing it is set the opposite of this.

Make sure there are no discs in any drives cd or floppy and save and exit out of BIOS and then reset restart PC and see what happens and report back
If the same problems persist, take the hard drive out and set the jumper to slave and put it in another PC and see if it is recognized by the PC and see if you can click on the drive and see the contents and report back :)
Don't format it or your files are gone if it is not already toast...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.