1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE disk S/N read test and IDE disk S/N Verify test FAIL

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cbuchs, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cbuchs

cbuchs Thread Starter

I ran a diagnostic test on my computer because I am unable to boot my operating system. When I start the computer, I get the CNTRL ALT DEL screen and then the password screen but from there I get a dialog box that states "the procedure entry point CoRegisterInitializeSpy could not be located in the dynamic link library ole32.dll" and a blank desktop. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. tacoman359

tacoman359

Do you have your XP installation CD's? Reinstalling would probably be the easiest thing to do. You could also try booting into safe mode and fixing it yourself. Restart your computer and keep tapping F8, then choose Safe Mode from the menu. Tell me if you can login.

3. cbuchs

cbuchs Thread Starter

The two problems are - I don't have an XP disc and it does the same thing in safe mode. The only thing I can do is get to the task manager and run things thru that. Is there any way to go thru the task manager or suggestions on where to get an XP disc?

4. tacoman359

tacoman359

According to this thread, it's a problem with Internet Explorer. Try uninstalling it.

5. cbuchs

cbuchs Thread Starter

Yes, the original problem was only the inability to use IE7...I did as you suggest and uninstalled it and now I am unable to boot the operating system.

6. tacoman359

tacoman359

Oh, I didn't realize that you created that thread.

I didn't really understand your problem before. You were explaining your previous error, not the current one. I thought you could still boot Windows. Can you post your whole current error, not just one section of it, and can you elaborate on your current error, not the one that you were previously receiving.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/737034