1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE drive unrecognized after adding SATA drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ggdgkg, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ggdgkg

ggdgkg Thread Starter

I nstalled a new SATA drive in my pc. I installed Windows XP Pro on it using the drivers from the ASUS disc when Windows prompted for the SCSI drivers. Now windows sees my IDE drive as a scsi drive and I can't access it. How do I get windows to recognize the drive as an IDE drive again?
    Specs: P4 on ASU P4P800 motherboard.

2. zupadupa

zupadupa

Ensure that in BIOS that you have the boot up sequence set up as First Boot: SCSI, 2nd Boot: CD-Rom, 3rd Boot: the Floppy. Also, I dont know if it matters so much, but check that the jumper on you IDE is set to master or cable select. That should fix your problem.

If the above doesnt work, then disconnect your IDE drive, power up, and then power down, reconnect your IDE drive and then power back up. That should fix it.

3. ggdgkg

ggdgkg Thread Starter

The problem doesn't seem to be the bios. I can see the drive on post and windows device manager can see the drive. The problem is it sees it as a scsi drive when it is an IDE drive.

Windows botts fine from the SATA drive.

4. zupadupa

zupadupa

Does the drive work fine?

5. zupadupa

zupadupa

Have you unplugged it and booted up, and then powere down, plugged in the drive and booted back up?

6. ggdgkg

ggdgkg Thread Starter

I have tried disconnecting the IDE drive. I have enven tried putting it on another IDE channel. Same result. As I said, the BIOS recognizes the drive, it is windows that has a problem with it. It sees it as a SCSI drive not an IDE drive.

7. norton850

norton850

Have you tried another IDE cable and making sure no bent pins on the drive?

8. ggdgkg

ggdgkg Thread Starter

The drive works. the bios sees it. Windows sees it, just as a SCSI drive. There is nothing wrong with the way the drive is hooked up.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice