1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE hdd not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cleardarksky, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cleardarksky

cleardarksky Thread Starter

Compaq Presario PC. Windows 7 Ultimate. The motherboard is a M2N68-LA (Ivy) and has one pata connector.

I'm trying to install a second hdd (ide/pata style hdd) into my pc for extra storage. I know the ide hdd works cause it works fine in another pc. When i connect my ide/pata hdd to the motherboard the computer starts, i don't see the "starting windows" logo, instead of the desktop screen i get the blue screen of death. I tried connecting the ide drive as cs/slave etc but pc refuses to boot. I used different ide ribbon cables to connect the ide hdd but it had no effect. If it makes a difference my main hdd is connected by sata cable. The boot order inside BIOS' "main" tab shows 1st drive none, 2nd drive none, 3rd drive is my main hdd, 4th drive cd, could this be the issue? I tried to change the main hdd to 1st, inside BIOS, but the system will not allow me to make any changes. Also pata adapter is enabled in BIOS. I know I can buy an IDE to SATA adapter to get the drive to work but I don't have the space inside the case for the adapter. Any help would be appreciated.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is this possibly an HP or Compaq computer? to enable the IDE (ATA) port?

3. cleardarksky

cleardarksky Thread Starter

It is a Compaq computer and like i stated earlier pata adapter is enabled in BIOS. Unless you meant something else.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    No, that is exactly what I meant. I have a dead Presario in my garage that had the same problem. I ended up getting a PCI Pata controller card to take care of the problem. You might look on www.newegg.com to see if you can still find one.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice