1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE & power cables connection questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stormie2000, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stormie2000

stormie2000 Thread Starter

hi guys again

I was thinking if this is bad or not. Like for my pc setup, I have a bad habit of disconnecting my backup HDDs[3 of em] and reconnecting (ide+power wires)them just to transfer files, whats the point of having them connecting 12-24 hours a day if im not going to use them so thats why I have them disc., mainly for backup purposes.

Is it ok just to leave the IDE cable connected without the power wire connected(Really dont wanna disconnect ide cable out of my seagate one, afraid the pin might get ruined again)while my pc is running? I only use 2 main hdds on my bottom racket. Other 3 are just backups. Or to any IDE hardware with ide cable connected without power?.

Recently just fixed my seagate drive with pliers, I mentioned in another thread, where it was pushed in the pin, and when i pulled it out it clicked, now working full speed I suppose, now just need to test it out some more to be sure cause before with the pin pushed in it was like 1/4 of its speed only.

2. rogers55

rogers55

You can disconnect the power and not the IDE cable without causing any problems. It will not detect a drive that is not powered.
    Another solutions is to use a removable drive caddy. That way you can just insert the desired drive and remove it when you are done (after shutting down the computer of course).

Regards,
    Roger

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

For what it's worth I would not trust that Seagate ever again with any important data, backup or not. Drives are cheap these days and any drive with pin damage that caused it to slow or have any erratic behavior is a failure waiting to happen.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Not sure that it is a good odea to unplug power and leave ide cable on as some boards will still sense the drive is there due to presence of ide cable and search for it...that could slow things down.
    How about getting external cases and using them as either usb or firewire drives.
    I mean personally I would never shut them off, hurts nothing and more chance of error turning them on again.

5. essial

essial

Leaving your power unplugged will be fine; I've done it for years without problems.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice